What Podcasts do you listen to?

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
In summary, podcasts are a great way to learn more about science, but be aware that some are more scientific and cover all sorts of topics while others are more entertainment orientated.
mikeph
Hello

I have just started listening to Podcasts once again and would like to know if there are any good scientific ones out there that I am missing! So far I only have the Nature one, and Scientific American. Unfortunately these seems to be strongly biased towards biology, zoology, ecology and the like, whereas I'm much more into physical sciences.

Any good suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, what is it with physics being so elusive in this regard?

Actually I sort of take back what I said about scientific american, I just found a pair of episodes earlier this year (I think) covering a press conference with Alan Guth and 3 more cosmologists, discussing the future of cosmology for 40 minutes, which was really good.

But that's a single bus journey for me... I need that twice every day ideally!

I am currently subscribed to:

"The Naked Scientists" - Naked Science Radio show
"Are We Alone?" -Science radio for Thinking Species

and "Stuff You Should Know".

The first two are more scientific and cover all sorts of topics.

the BBC have some that are OK...

A personal favorite:

http://www.ted.com/talks"

TED stands for Technology Engineering and Design, it has been around since 1984 I believe and their talks are updated monthly, talks range from 4 minutes to about 20 minutes.

There are world class economists, physicists (George Smoot, Stephen Hawking, Murray Gell-Mann, Garrett Lisi), Nobel Prize winners, musicians, adventurer's, etc...

Site has easy search feature, and a good feedback mechanism built into the forum.

I have about 30 or so talks on my iTouch...

Good Luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the skeptics guide to the universe.Just google it if you are interested.

Sgu is a top podcast they talk about a lot if areas o science. Also check out Astronomy Cast if at all interested in astro, it's a but introductory at times but I have learned a bit from it.

1. What are the top podcasts that you listen to regularly?

As a scientist, I am always looking for ways to expand my knowledge and stay updated on current events and research. Some of the top podcasts that I listen to regularly include "Radiolab," "Science Vs," "Hidden Brain," "Invisibilia," and "TED Radio Hour."

2. How do you choose which podcasts to listen to?

I typically choose podcasts that align with my interests and areas of expertise. I also look for podcasts that have a strong reputation and are well-researched and informative. I also take recommendations from colleagues and friends in the scientific community.

3. Are there any science-specific podcasts that you would recommend?

Yes, there are many science-specific podcasts that I would highly recommend. Some of my favorites include "Science Friday," "Stuff You Should Know," "Science Magazine Podcast," "Nature Podcast," and "Skeptics' Guide to the Universe."

4. How do you incorporate listening to podcasts into your busy schedule?

As a scientist, my schedule can be quite hectic. However, I make it a priority to listen to podcasts during my commute, while exercising, or during breaks throughout the day. I also try to set aside dedicated time each week to catch up on my favorite podcasts.

5. Can you provide any tips for someone looking to start listening to podcasts?

My first tip would be to explore different genres and topics to find what interests you the most. Don't be afraid to try new podcasts and give them a few episodes before deciding if you like them. Also, consider subscribing to your favorite podcasts to stay updated on new episodes. And lastly, don't forget to leave reviews and ratings for podcasts you enjoy to help support the creators.