Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What power do you raise 3 to to get 9

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    Hello again..
    Alright Im now on the part of 12th grade calculus, dealing with logs and exponents and stuff. I understand if say log39 That its basically what power do you raise 3 to to get 9. Well a question i need to answer is log162. So what power to I raise 16 to to get 2??? I used my calculator just trying to find a number that would work, and i got 0.25. How would I show work for that? all of the solutions they gave for different equations worked different like for the log39They showed 2 ways:
    3^x=9
    3^x=3^2
    x=2
    OR
    log39=log3(3^2)
    =2
    None of these solutions work for 16 since 2 is 2^1 and 16^1 is 16 not 2... Im confused.. Is 0.25 even the right answer.
    Any Help is appreciated greatly!!!
    Thanks ya!!!

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2
    hint: 16=2^4

4. May 11, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.Use this property of the logarithms wrt a change of basis.

[tex] \log_{16}2=\frac{\ln 2}{\ln 16}=\frac{\ln 2}{4\ln 2}=\frac{1}{4}=0.25 [/tex]

Daniel.

5. May 11, 2005 #4
    Have you heard of a change of base? You calculator can only do log base 10. Here is the formula

[tex]\log_b a = \frac {\log_c a}{\log_c b}[/tex] where c can be anything. But why not set that to 10 so your calculator can crunch it.

6. May 11, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

0.25 is the correct answer, because 16^(0.25) = 2.

The easiest way to compute logs like [itex]\log_b x[/itex] on a calculator is to compute

[tex]\log_b x = \frac{\log x}{\log b}[/tex]

where the logs on the right can be any base at all (10, e, whatever). In other words, to find [itex]\log_{16} 2[/itex] on your calculator, punch up (log 2 / log 16).

- Warren

7. May 11, 2005 #6
    Thanks, but what does the In stand for...

8. May 11, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so.Any (scientifical) calculator should have natural logarithm.It's eseential.

Daniel.

9. May 11, 2005 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's probably "ln", the "natural logarithm", and it means the logarithm to the base e=2.1718..., if you haven't met it in your class yet, it's probably not far off.

10. May 11, 2005 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dexter's post using natural logs can just as well be done with logs of any base, including 10.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?