1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What power do you raise 3 to to get 9

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    Hello again..
    Alright Im now on the part of 12th grade calculus, dealing with logs and exponents and stuff. I understand if say log39 That its basically what power do you raise 3 to to get 9. Well a question i need to answer is log162. So what power to I raise 16 to to get 2??? I used my calculator just trying to find a number that would work, and i got 0.25. How would I show work for that? all of the solutions they gave for different equations worked different like for the log39They showed 2 ways:
    3^x=9
    3^x=3^2
    x=2
    OR
    log39=log3(3^2)
    =2
    None of these solutions work for 16 since 2 is 2^1 and 16^1 is 16 not 2... Im confused.. Is 0.25 even the right answer.
    Any Help is appreciated greatly!!!
    Thanks ya!!!

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2
    hint: 16=2^4

4. May 11, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.Use this property of the logarithms wrt a change of basis.

[tex] \log_{16}2=\frac{\ln 2}{\ln 16}=\frac{\ln 2}{4\ln 2}=\frac{1}{4}=0.25 [/tex]

Daniel.

5. May 11, 2005 #4
    Have you heard of a change of base? You calculator can only do log base 10. Here is the formula

[tex]\log_b a = \frac {\log_c a}{\log_c b}[/tex] where c can be anything. But why not set that to 10 so your calculator can crunch it.

6. May 11, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

0.25 is the correct answer, because 16^(0.25) = 2.

The easiest way to compute logs like [itex]\log_b x[/itex] on a calculator is to compute

[tex]\log_b x = \frac{\log x}{\log b}[/tex]

where the logs on the right can be any base at all (10, e, whatever). In other words, to find [itex]\log_{16} 2[/itex] on your calculator, punch up (log 2 / log 16).

- Warren

7. May 11, 2005 #6
    Thanks, but what does the In stand for...

8. May 11, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so.Any (scientifical) calculator should have natural logarithm.It's eseential.

Daniel.

9. May 11, 2005 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's probably "ln", the "natural logarithm", and it means the logarithm to the base e=2.1718..., if you haven't met it in your class yet, it's probably not far off.

10. May 11, 2005 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dexter's post using natural logs can just as well be done with logs of any base, including 10.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?