What power supply (amps) would run this plasma globe?

In summary: So if you only have USB 2.0 ports, you might be able to get by with a lower current output.USB ports can be divided into two categories- Standard USB ports and Type-A ports. Type-A ports are more likely to provide the higher current outputs.If you have a USB 2.0 port, you might be able to get by with a lower current output.In summary, a 3" plasma globe needs a 5V 300mA dc supply. If the globe does not come with a power adapter, then you might be able to use an adapter with a current rating of 500ma. However, if the globe does not come with a power adapter, you will need to find
Abir
my 3inch plasma globe needs 5V 300mA dc supply...
Can I use an adapter with 4.5V and 50mA output rating?
If can't then what will happen if I still do use it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Abir said:
my 3inch plasma globe needs 5V 300mA dc supply...
Can I use an adapter with 4.5V and 50mA output rating?
If can't then what will happen if I still do use it?

Welcome to the PF.

It most likely will not work. A 4.5V supply with a current rating of >=300mA might work, but an output current rating of only 50mA looks to be way too low.

I have another adapter with 1A rating but its 12V...i suppose that will be too high??

Abir said:
I have another adapter with 1A rating but its 12V...i suppose that will be too high??

Yeah, probably too high. Did the globe not come with a power adapter?

berkeman said:
Yeah, probably too high. Did the globe not come with a power adapter?
actually it did... but with car adapter not with a usb or power plug adapter..
I got it from ebay for 835 INR and the sales package details said nothing about it containg any adapter let alone specifying the type of adapter

Abir said:
actually it did... but with car adapter not with a usb or power plug adapter..
I got it from ebay for 835 INR and the sales package details said nothing about it containg any adapter let alone specifying the type of adapter

When you plug it into your car, does the globe work?

Also, can you measure the output voltage from the car adapter? If it's 12V (no down-regulation), then your 12V power adapter should be okay.

1. You should not go above the rated input voltage. If that's 5V, (does it say that on the globe?) then absolutely do not go above it.

2. You must be able to supply the 5V and the current specified. That is, when the globe draws 300ma, then the power source should still be 5V.
An adapter with 50ma rating will likely not put out 5V with a globe attempting to use 300ma

3. I find it hard to believe that a 5V 50ma power adapter even exists. Is it possible you are misreading it? 5V 500ma and 5V 1A are both very common.
(I take it back --- I guess they exist)

Just about any cellphone charger is 5V 450ma at least.

You need 5V. You need at least 300mA. (You might be able to get by a little low on that if the design engineer over built the supply.) But more current will work.

I seem to recall USB is 5V. I forget the current, but I think it will source 300 mA. So any USB supply should work.

The USB specification is that if you do not enumerate at all you not supposed to draw more than 2.5ma. for any length of time.
If you enumarate you and draw 100ma. You must not draw more than 100ma unless you enumerate and request higher power. Then you can draw 500ma.

The specification is actually much more complicated than that, including a sub-threshold signalling protocol, but I won't go into that.

Not all USB devices enforce this.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the average power supply (amps) needed for a plasma globe?

The average power supply for a plasma globe ranges between 3-5 amps.

2. Can I use any power supply (amps) for a plasma globe?

No, it is important to use a power supply that matches the voltage and current requirements of the plasma globe to ensure safe and proper functioning.

3. What happens if I use a power supply with lower amps for a plasma globe?

If the power supply has lower amps than the recommended amount, the plasma globe may not turn on or may not produce its full range of effects. It may also put strain on the power supply and potentially cause damage.

4. Is it safe to use a power supply with higher amps for a plasma globe?

Using a power supply with higher amps than recommended can potentially damage the plasma globe and create a safety hazard. It is important to always use the recommended power supply for the specific plasma globe model.

5. How can I determine the required power supply (amps) for a plasma globe?

You can determine the required power supply for a plasma globe by checking the voltage and current specifications on the product manual or by contacting the manufacturer for more information. It is always recommended to use the exact power supply recommended by the manufacturer for optimal performance and safety.