Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What proverb?

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

Could anyone tell me an English proverb that describe 2 persons (or things) which cooperate very well together (say the two strikers of a football team).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    "Like an oiled machine" is for larger teams, I would guess something like "They move/work as one".

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    They work together hand in glove.

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just a minor point, but the thing you are looking for (e.g., 'hand in glove') is an idiom, not a proverb. And the phrase 'like a well oiled machine', is an example of a simile. Without the 'like', it becomes a metaphor.

6. Feb 9, 2010 #5
    "This is business not personal. "

7. Feb 9, 2010 #6

minger

Science Advisor

"They go together like peas and carrots."

8. Feb 9, 2010 #7
    thanks all for replying.
    In fact it's not a proverb but an idiom. I just want to describe 2 persons, they work very well together like "an ideal pair". But I think there should be a better expression other than "an ideal pair".

9. Feb 9, 2010 #8
    http://stdarkfate.craigcurtis.us/images/strstBinars.jpg [Broken]​
    [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Feb 9, 2010 #9
    "Honestly Chris Hansen, she said she was 18."

11. Feb 9, 2010 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Like two peas in a pod?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/two+peas+in+a+pod

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. Feb 9, 2010 #11
    a perfect match:

789308_matchstick_lighter.jpg

13. Feb 9, 2010 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

Like bacon and...uh...pretty much anything?

14. Feb 9, 2010 #13
    a picture is worth a thousand words:

an ideal pair

oscar-winning-legs.jpg

15. Feb 9, 2010 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you get 2 from? I think you miscounted - badly! There's 1,293 openings in her mesh stockings.

16. Feb 9, 2010 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Clearly, he was describing the shoes. Must have been $$$$.

17. Feb 9, 2010 #16
    How come it looks like she is missing a pinky? It is most likely obscured by the frillies, but still looks like she only has 3 fingies.

18. Feb 9, 2010 #17
    "They make a great team." is probably the most common way an English speaker would express that, at least in the US. It's not a very colorful idiom, but it is common.

19. Feb 9, 2010 #18
    I think I could invite a woman with three fingies into my pod and cooperate very well together and work like clockwork and/or a well oiled engine.

20. Feb 11, 2010 #19

Danger

Gold Member

My mother once accused my favourite cousin and I of being two bodies controlled by one brain. (Which is peculiar in that the exact relationship is that he's my mother's cousin's adopted daughter's husband's nephew. There's a lot of that in my family so everyone is just a 'cousin'.)
    I think that what you're looking for is a 'synergistic relationship' wherein the whole is equal to more than the sum of its parts. If the whole is simply equal to the parts, then it might be 'symbiotic'.

21. Feb 11, 2010 #20

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are:
    A harmonious team. A pair in perfect harmony. Perfect complements. Birds of a feather. Hand and glove.

They go/fit together like:
    Two peas in pod. Peas and carrots. The stars and stripes. The moon and stars. The sun and sea. Bees and honey. A bow and arrow. The left shoe and the right shoe. A horse and carriage. Laurel and Hardy. Batman and Robin. Clark and Louise. Mickey and Minnie. Tango and Cash. Bonnie and Clyde. Fred and Ginger. Homer and Marge. Tom and Jerry. Wallace and Grommit. Lois and Clark. Simon and Garfunkel. Salt and pepper. Peanut butter and jelly. Burger and fries. Cheese and crackers. Bacon and eggs. Fish and chips. Yin and yang. Bread and butter. Coffee and cream. Coffee and sugar. Sugar and spice. Tea and lemon. Tea and milk. Cookies and milk. Cookies and cream. Milk and cereal. Chocolate and vanilla. Butter and biscuit. Wine and cheese. Martini and olives. Peas and Gravy. Beets and carrots. A wink and a smile. Apple pie and ice cream. Zinc and copper. Hot dog and mustard. Fries and ketchup. Meat and potatoes. Beer and chips. Chips and salsa. Sex and college humor. A puzzle.

22. Feb 11, 2010 #21

Danger

Gold Member

Do you mean 'Clark and Lois' as in 'Superman', or 'Clark and Lewis' as in US history? :confused:

23. Feb 11, 2010 #22

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lewis and Clark, as in history. Clark and Lois, as in Superman. (Thanks!)

Also, spaghetti and meatballs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook