Learn About Credit/No Credit Grading: Benefits & Transfers

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
In summary, credit/no credit courses allow students to take classes without worrying about getting a good grade, and they do not affect a student's GPA. They can be a good option for students if they are not sure if they can do well in a class, or if they want a relaxed/flexible option.
Jurrasic
At 2 year colleges, there is this thing called credit / no credit grading option, does anyone know what some reasons are as to why someone would take a class for credit / no credit ? What purpose does this serve? (At some school's it's also called pass / no pass ?)
They appear on a transcript as credit or no credit depending on the effort put into it.
And, how do these look on a students transcript, for transferring to a 4 year college? As far as whether they look good or bad by those reviewing an application for admission into 4 year colleges?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jurrasic said:
At 2 year colleges, there is this thing called credit / no credit grading option, does anyone know what some reasons are as to why someone would take a class for credit / no credit ? What purpose does this serve? (At some school's it's also called pass / no pass ?)
They appear on a transcript as credit or no credit depending on the effort put into it.
And, how do these look on a students transcript, for transferring to a 4 year college? As far as whether they look good or bad by those reviewing an application for admission into 4 year colleges?

They do not get calculated in your GPA. So if you want to take some class, but you are not sure that you want or can put the effort to get a good mark they are a nice option.The thing is that you are can't take courses required for your major and you can't transfer them. As for how they are seen by admissions i think if you don't take to many,pass them and your GPA is good they would think that you know what you are doing and when not to take unnecessary ricks

Medschool in Norway is like that. All of it.

Even at 4-year colleges - at least, at every one I know of - they have a similar option. (I didn't realize it until my second year of college, though... oops :rofl:)

diazona said:
Even at 4-year colleges - at least, at every one I know of - they have a similar option.
MIT's freshman year works the same way, so even the good schools do it. The MIT rational is so that their freshies don't die under the pressure of trying to get As in everything the first year.

Pass/Fail courses can be a good idea if:
a) Subject is not in your intended major,
b) Subject is difficult [for you] to perform very well in,
c) You're looking for a relaxed/flexible option.

It can be very stressing trying to pick up all the points for an A in some classes (especially if it's a subject where you're prone to small errors which accumulate), but knowing you only need to have a 70+ to pass allows you to prioritize, spend more time on other classes, and generally be more flexible. Like I said, so long as these classes aren't in your major, I doubt anyone looks down on them (I know here at Cornell there's a limit to how many you can take anyways).

1. What is the difference between credit/no credit grading and traditional letter grading?

With credit/no credit grading, students receive either a "credit" or "no credit" grade instead of a traditional letter grade. This means that their performance in the course is not reflected in their GPA. With traditional letter grading, students receive a letter grade such as A, B, C, D, or F, which does affect their GPA.

2. What are the benefits of credit/no credit grading?

Credit/no credit grading can reduce stress and pressure on students, as their performance is not solely based on their grades. It also allows students to explore new subjects without the fear of damaging their GPA.

3. Are there any disadvantages to credit/no credit grading?

One potential disadvantage is that some graduate schools and employers may view credit/no credit grades as a lack of effort or academic rigor. It is important to check with specific institutions to see how they view credit/no credit grades.

4. Can I switch from traditional letter grading to credit/no credit grading?

This depends on the policies of your school or institution. Some may allow students to switch to credit/no credit grading within a certain time frame, while others may not allow it at all. It is important to check with your school's registrar or academic advisor.

5. Can credit/no credit grades be transferred to other institutions?

It depends on the policies of the receiving institution. Some may accept credit/no credit grades, while others may only accept traditional letter grades. It is important to check with the institution beforehand to understand their transfer credit policies.