Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What science periodicals do you recommend?

1. Mar 5, 2004 #1
    I don't know of any science magazines I could subscribe to (either online or in paper format) and keep up to date with the latest physics news. The only thing I can remotely think of is Scientific American, and that seems a little too commercialized/geared toward the public for my taste. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2004 #2
    There is also Discovery (?) magazine, but that is all I can think of right now.

4. Mar 6, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Guessing that you are from the US, I'd walk into a borders store and see what they have in their collection and if you like any of them.

The is the NewScientist for instance www.newscientist.com
    or ScienceNews www.sciencenews.org
    AmericanScientist www.americanscientist.org
    the ScientificAmerican as you mentioned or DiscoveryMagazine..

5. Mar 6, 2004 #4
    Try "Physics Today" from the APS. Spendy, though.

6. Mar 7, 2004 #5
    The Journal "Science" from the AAAS, 52 times a year, enough to keep anyone busy, subscription, or University Library...
    (I've only found it once in a "regular library")

7. Mar 7, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok.. this can't be right.. $75 for 51 weekly Science issues? Is it really that cheap? I always thought it must be $200 or something :P

Then why do they charge $10 for a single article? ..

8. Mar 7, 2004 #7
    Don't know where you got that price ($75.00) but it's alot less then what I paid for a subscription years ago, but I had to change it into US$, OOHHH that costs...think it was about $225 - $250 Canadian (years back)...but it will keep you busy, and it is multidisciplinary....everything is covered. (or near enough)

9. Mar 7, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Further down the subscription process it says: Student $75 :)

10. Mar 8, 2004 #9
    Cool and just what price does it say for non-professionals or do they even sell to them, anymore? (as that is what I was/am)

Plus then I had to trade into US$, back then, if wasn't cheap, $100.00 Canadian would trade, at a bank, (costs more) for $60 to $65 US, so $160 US would have cost me over $200 Canadian...inexpensive, in comparision to the, then 'Stand' price of $6.00 US per issue

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?