What's the Best Shampoo for Your Hair Type?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary: And my daughter doesn't use conditioner because she says it weighs her hair down.Actually, conditioner is used to detangle, moisturize, and add shine to hair.
ehrenfest
I know this is a stupid random question. Sorry for that. But here's why I ask it: I go to the drugstore to buy shampoo. I go to the shampoo aisle. There are at least 40 different types of shampoo. Normally I just pick up Head and Shoulders but this time the sheer number of shampoo types shocked me. So, I stopped to think: why do I always pick up the same Head and Shoulders brand? I couldn't think of a reason other than mere "tradition". In fact a realized I had no idea what the difference between one shampoo brand to the next was. Sure all the different brands have their uniquely colored bottle and their unique advertisement claims about how fresh and clean and dandruff-free your hair will be, but who knows what the truth content of these claims are?

So, I went home and tried to find a third party analysis of shampoo on the internet. As hard as I searched, I I couldn't find one. This really frustrated me because I hate to make random consumer decisions. I've noticed that a similar phenomenon occurs a lot when I go shopping recently, so let me ask the following question.

How do you make selections amidst the sea of consumer products? How do you choose a product when there are many different brands competing for your attention and some of them may be better or safer or more effective than others but its hard to tell from the package when your not an expert in the study of that product?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just pick up Head and Shoulders? Last time I looked, there were about five different kinds of Head and Shoulders. I stood there just scratching my head trying to decide. :uhh:

I think I'm going to exempt myself and most other females from this discussion. The guys can probably tell you how they pick A shampoo. I think I have 4 different shampoos in my shower at the moment. One is for regular shampooing, one is gentler if I have to wash my hair more than once a day (working in the anatomy labs has that effect...it has occurred to me that I haven't ever held a non-stinky job since graduating college), another is pretty smelling, and another is better for the frizzy days. Oh, and then there are the conditioners. :uhh:

Like I said, you probably don't want my answer. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
You just pick up Head and Shoulders? Last time I looked, there were about five different kinds of Head and Shoulders. I stood there just scratching my head trying to decide. :uhh:

oh gawd. sometimes you can just be too clever.

All I know about shampoo is whatever one I bought is exactly the wrong kind as far as my girlfriend was concerned.
Personally I could use a bar of soap and be fine. I probably couldn't tell a good shampoo from a bad shampoo from a bubble bath. That's why I went with Tresemme natural shampoo for all hair types. The only reason I picked this one is because it has a pump and holds a lot of shampoo. I don't have to pick it up, or open and close the lid. The bottle means more to me than what it holds.

Well, after a lot of personal misery: T-gel 2 in 1--cause I'd have dandruff (again) without it.

I've tried everything else. It doesn't go away. But the T-gel (not the coal tar formula mind you) 2 in 1 keeps me non-itchy.

Guys do need to be careful when picking out a shampoo, otherwise we end up smelling like citrus, avocado, or some kind of tropical fruit.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Guys do need to be careful when picking out a shampoo, otherwise we end up smelling like citrus, avocado, or some kind of tropical fruit.:biggrin:

I use Suave: Daily Clarifying. It has a suitably chemical smell to it. ;-p

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I use Suave: Daily Clarifying. It has a suitably chemical smell to it. ;-p

That's what I have been using, and then for conditioner...I use Garnier Fructis :biggrin:

I end up using whatever my daughter tries and doesn't like :grumpy: .

What is conditioner? is it really necessary? All I know is when I accidentally grab the conditioner in the shower it doesn't lather so I've wasted precious time and have to start over.

Most guys really don't need conditioner. It's more used if you have long hair to detangle it, or if you have dry hair. That is even an even more touchy subject with us females.:biggrin:

tribdog said:
What is conditioner? is it really necessary? All I know is when I accidentally grab the conditioner in the shower it doesn't lather so I've wasted precious time and have to start over.

Well I've never had REALLY short hair...so I don't know if a short haired person would need it. But if you have long hair, yeah, it really is necessary. It keeps the strands from tangling. Long hair can form a tangle like rat's nest in no time.

I also fall into the long hair/stinky job category. I have a basket of shampoos for different needs. I think my all time favorite is a organic peppermint shampoo, and a rinse with rain water.

lisab said:
Well I've never had REALLY short hair...so I don't know if a short haired person would need it. But if you have long hair, yeah, it really is necessary. It keeps the strands from tangling. Long hair can form a tangle like rat's nest in no time.

It helps to use it every now and again if you have short hair and it tends to get dry and frizzy. I could almost go without hair gel after I use conditioner. I wish it worked better.

ehrenfest said:
I know this is a stupid random question. Sorry for that. But here's why I ask it: I go to the drugstore to buy shampoo. I go to the shampoo aisle. There are at least 40 different types of shampoo. Normally I just pick up Head and Shoulders but this time the sheer number of shampoo types shocked me. So, I stopped to think: why do I always pick up the same Head and Shoulders brand? I couldn't think of a reason other than mere "tradition". In fact a realized I had no idea what the difference between one shampoo brand to the next was. Sure all the different brands have their uniquely colored bottle and their unique advertisement claims about how fresh and clean and dandruff-free your hair will be, but who knows what the truth content of these claims are?

So, I went home and tried to find a third party analysis of shampoo on the internet. As hard as I searched, I I couldn't find one. This really frustrated me because I hate to make random consumer decisions. I've noticed that a similar phenomenon occurs a lot when I go shopping recently, so let me ask the following question.

How do you make selections amidst the sea of consumer products? How do you choose a product when there are many different brands competing for your attention and some of them may be better or safer or more effective than others but its hard to tell from the package when your not an expert in the study of that product?

If you use head and shoulders, stick to it. It's good because it prevents dandruff, and it works. If I use other shampoos my scalp becomes dry. This stuff works perfectly.

If you want to have orgasms in the shower, I recommend herbal essence.

Do I even want to know about the last sentence there Cyrus?...

You don't need that stuff for your hair. You can use Dove, Joy, Pamlolive--any dishwashing detergent sold in the family size will do. If you're so inclined, you can roll your own ten year supply from a 5 gallon bucket of STP. Did I mention that I've invented the rewindable dental floss? I could post a picture of the prototype.

Phrak said:
You don't need that stuff for your hair. You can use Dove, Joy, Pamlolive--any dishwashing detergent sold in the family size will do. If you're so inclined, you can roll your own ten year supply from a 5 gallon bucket of STP. Did I mention that I've invented the rewindable dental floss? I could post a picture of the prototype.

sounds like a rip off of my rewindable toilet paper.

Ha ha...is that something like those cloth towels that roll out and then get rolled back up all in one machine they have in some public bathrooms?

binzing said:
Do I even want to know about the last sentence there Cyrus?...

I don't know, do you?

get a room you two. geez.

Get a shower curtain.

funny you should mention that. I came up with a solution, I bought a mop.

hypatia said:
I also fall into the long hair/stinky job category. I have a basket of shampoos for different needs. I think my all time favorite is a organic peppermint shampoo, and a rinse with rain water.
Ooh, sounds nice! Bath & Body Works has a menthol and peppermint type handwashing soap that is GREAT at getting off the stink. On really bad days, I do a pre-wash with that (I use it from head to toe on those days...just DON'T get it anywhere near your eyes! :cry:), then use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I think the thing I use is organic, but I don't care. It's expensive, but since it is the only thing that really works, it's worth it. Dish detergent cuts through the grease and oils to get rid of the stink too, but that is far too harsh for my hair or all-over bathing.

Cyrus said:
If you use head and shoulders, stick to it. It's good because it prevents dandruff, and it works. If I use other shampoos my scalp becomes dry. This stuff works perfectly.
I think I have the one with pink stripes on the bottle. It's really good.

If you want to have orgasms in the shower, I recommend herbal essence.
:rofl:

tribdog said:
funny you should mention that. I came up with a solution, I bought a mop.

:biggrin: I was about half a keystroke away from suggesting that to you. :rofl:

I use Scent-A-Way liquid soap (fragrance-free, and made for hunters). It works great.

Last edited:
So, I guess no one knows of a third party website where there is a systematic evaluation of shampoos in terms of effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, safety, whatever. Maybe, I should start a shampoo-evaluation business... I don't know why someone hasn't done that already since shampoo is such a common artifact in life in the Western world. It wold be nice if you didn't have to learn what works by trial and error...

Next (stupid silly) question which I am asking for the same reason. Do you use soap or body wash or perhaps something else? What brand do you buy?

ehrenfest said:
So, I guess no one knows of a third party website where there is a systematic evaluation of shampoos in terms of effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, safety, whatever. Maybe, I should start a shampoo-evaluation business... I don't know why someone hasn't done that already since shampoo is such a common artifact in life in the Western world. It wold be nice if you didn't have to learn what works by trial and error...
There probably isn't any such thing, since a lot of it comes down to personal preference. They all basically do what they say they do, which is get your hair clean. Safety is already covered...can't be sold if it isn't safe.

Next (stupid silly) question which I am asking for the same reason. Do you use soap or body wash or perhaps something else? What brand do you buy?

I usually prefer regular bar soaps. The body washes leave me feeling like I still have a filmy residue on me. Though, they are nice once in a while when I just want to soak in a hot bath and enjoy the scent...but I use them for the scent, not the cleanliness. I avoid some brands because my skin is sensitive and they seem to dry out my skin too much...Ivory and Dial soaps are ones I avoid. In the dead of winter when the air gets really dry, I'll splurge on a fancier soap that's milder for my skin and helps stop itching, like an oatmeal soap or sheep's milk soap. Otherwise, I just buy whatever is on sale for the best price. I think it's Irish Spring right now (or maybe Lever 2000...both are green bars, so I never remember which one I have).

I make my own soap. Its glycerin based, with added oils and botanicals.

hypatia said:
I make my own soap.

I tried that once in my organic chemistry lab. Well, I mean the assignment was to make soap and learn about micelles and fatty acids and carboyxlates. While I doubt that the soap I made was actually effective, I did learn a lot about what it was. Opening that black box has made me realize that making soap is a really nontrivial task and that it could be completely botched e.g. by an orgo student. Furthermore, there is a lot of science involved in making soap and when I see all of these soaps in the "beauty" aisle at the store and with their boxes adorned with supermodels having orgasms like Cyrus said, it makes me think that the manufacturers are not scientists or organic chemists but more like people with a degree from "beauty school" who are playing around with chemicals...

ehrenfest said:
I tried that once in my organic chemistry lab. Well, I mean the assignment was to make soap and learn about micelles and fatty acids and carboyxlates. While I doubt that the soap I made was actually effective, I did learn a lot about what it was. Opening that black box has made me realize that making soap is a really nontrivial task and that it could be completely botched e.g. by an orgo student. Furthermore, there is a lot of science involved in making soap and when I see all of these soaps in the "beauty" aisle at the store and with their boxes adorned with supermodels having orgasms like Cyrus said, it makes me think that the manufacturers are not scientists or organic chemists but more like people with a degree from "beauty school" who are playing around with chemicals...

You do realize there is a R&D division and a marketing division in any company, right?

ehrenfest said:

I use Dove soap because it has little smell. I don't like shampoos or soaps that have too much smell because then if you wear cologne it's a combination of smells going on and it's distracting. For that same reason I use adidas deodorant. It has very residual fragrance.

If I want to smell, I'll use cologne. Cologne isn't cheap, so if I use it I want to smell like it and it alone. Not like I am wearing cologne, and shampoo, and soap, and deodorant, and aftershave,...and you can see what I mean by too many smells combating each other all of a sudden.

Cyrus said:
You do realize there is a R&D division and a marketing division in any company, right?

Not to mention the very important Quality Control division!

I used to by Paul Mitchell shampoo that made your head tingle, it was awesome, but expensive. So I have moved a step down to Dove shampoo which has nice lather and smell.

Cyrus said:
If I want to smell, I'll use cologne. Cologne isn't cheap, so if I use it I want to smell like it and it alone. Not like I am wearing cologne, and shampoo, and soap, and deodorant, and aftershave,...and you can see what I mean by too many smells combating each other all of a sudden.
Go to any good sporting-goods place that carries hunting supplies and pick up a bottle of Scent-A-Way liquid soap. It is antibacterial, and has no fragrance, lathers up well, and rinses off. It will not compete with any scents that you want to use and because it is designed for hunters, it won't leave a film on your hair or skin that could be detected by those sensitive deer-noses. My wife and I also use this soap (diluted) in pump dispensers for hand-washing.

I have one but I never used it.

But when choosing products, I look at all the prices and take their average. I buy the one that's closest to the average value.

rootX said:
I have one but I never used it.

But when choosing products, I look at all the prices and take their average. I buy the one that's closest to the average value.

That's a pretty odd way to go about doing things. I usually read the labels and buy the one that seems most applicable. Then if the product is good but not GREAT, I try another similar product. Most of the time the results are the same, so its not a loss. But if I get lucky and try one that works out really well, I just stick to it.

Now I'm trying new shaving creams to see which one I like best. I usually buy nivea because they have nice products. But I figured I'd give the Gillette shaving creme a try. So, we'll see how that goes. I'll keep trying new ones until I find one I really like or just stick with the one I found the most agreeable.

For these kinds of products, the spread on the prices isn't that great so looking at the averages is a pretty bad way of doing things. I'd look for quality over price. Honestly, what's the expensive shampoo going to cost over the average price, 50 cents more?

Last edited: