Can a Young Person With No Degree Change Theoretical Physics? What to Do?

In summary, without a degree in physics, a young person is unlikely to make a significant discovery in theoretical physics. To make a groundbreaking discovery, one must have a complete understanding of existing theories and observations, which is not possible without formal education and contact with professionals in the field. While studying courses and reading books can provide a basic understanding of physics, it is not enough to reach research level. Only through discussions with scientists and reading research papers can one gain the necessary background to make a significant contribution to the field. Therefore, it is highly unlikely for a non-famous, non-award-winning individual to make a groundbreaking discovery in theoretical physics.
ricky33
Why if a young person like 21 years old with no degrer made a new discovery in theoretical physics like an equation or a theory will not be accepted by people and no one will believe him ? What he should do before to let people accept his discovery ? Can it be accepted if that person was not famous and didn't won any physics award and and he don't publish physics article etc. ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a degree, he/she probably does not have a complete knowledge of physics, and has likely made a mistake.

Tell his scientist friends. To discover something, you have to know the existing theories and observations. It is impossible to get an overview over them without also getting in contact to scientists.

Anyway, this is a purely hypothetical question. It is something that simply does not happen. It never did, and there is no reason to expect this to change

Likes russ_watters and Dale
Mondayman said:
Without a degree, he/she probably does not have a complete knowledge of physics, and has likely made a mistake.
Without a degree but maybe by studiying till grad in personal courses

Those courses teach the basics, mainy things discovered/done decades to centuries ago. They are not the science done today.

Likes symbolipoint
mfb said:
Those courses teach the basics, mainy things discovered/done decades to centuries ago. They are not the science done today.
he can study the courses of graduate and those for the phd and from books and many other things he can make a discovery

Why are we talking about this? This kind of thing just doesn't happen. It has never happened in modern physics and it will never happen.
Furthermore, you haven't even studied Halliday & Resnick, so why is this so important to you?

ricky33 said:
he can study the courses of graduate and those for the phd and from books and many other things he can make a discovery

There are currently over 1 million articles on arXiv. How will you choose which to read and which not to read? How will you choose which books to read and which not to read? How will you know you're not having any misconceptions? How will you ind a topic that is both accessible and something novel enough?

ricky33 said:
No he cannot. You don't even know what has been studied and what not without doing actual research, in contact with actual researchers.

It is very simple. Resources are limited and so is time. Just ask yourself why anybody should decide to spend his time on reading something which might be already known or even wrong with a high probability? Personally, I can't even read everything I'd like to.

micromass said:
There are currently over 1 million articles on arXiv. How will you choose which to read and which not to read? How will you choose which books to read and which not to read? How will you know you're not having any misconceptions? How will you ind a topic that is both accessible and something novel enough?
By searching and getting the curriculum used in one university and study their courses

mfb said:
No he cannot. You don't even know what has been studied and what not without doing actual research, in contact with actual researchers.
He can ask some scientits or search for the curriculim of some universitirs there is a lot my friend have seen courses on MIT for undergrad and graduate

ricky33 said:
By searching and getting the curriculum used in one university and study their courses

OK cool. That will make you understand a lot physics up to 1950 - 1970. What about the modern parts of physics? How do you know whether a certain topic is good to pursue?

micromass said:
OK cool. That will make you understand a lot physics up to 1950 - 1970. What about the modern parts of physics? How do you know whether a certain topic is good to pursue?
MIT courses aren't good ?
And I can get the books used in the curriculum of universities

ricky33 said:
MIT courses aren't good ?
And I can get the books used in the curriculum of universities

You seem to be missing the point. MIT courses and books are excellent. But they only take you so far. They will not bring you to research level. Only research papers and discussions with professionals can do that.

micromass said:
You seem to be missing the point. MIT courses and books are excellent. But they only take you so far. They will not bring you to research level. Only research papers and discussions with professionals can do that.
So you are telling me that those who are studiying for a Phd in MIT are not good enought to make reasearchs and discoveries ?

ricky33 said:
So you are telling me that those who are studiying for a Phd in MIT are not good enought to make reasearchs and discoveries ?

I didn't say that at all??

What I'm saying is that if somebody studies only MIT coursework and textbooks, then he will miss too much background to do research.

ricky33 said:
micromass said:
What I'm saying is that if somebody studies only MIT coursework and textbooks, then he will miss too much background to do research.

It might be a good idea to continue this debate until the study of MIT coursework and textbooks will have happened. Might take some years, though. The desire and wish to discuss several topics with other researchers and scientist will come along anyway. (personal opinion)

micromass said:
I didn't say that at all??

what do you think they should do more than that ?

ricky33 said:
Those studying for a PhD at MIT are in contact with scientists before they even start their own research projects. And when they do, they discuss with scientists which projects would be interesting, and get help from those scientists to get started.

The lectures alone are not sufficient to contribute to science.

Likes symbolipoint
ricky33 said:
what do you think they should do more than that ?

Get help/discussions with professional scientists. Ask such people on which research papers to read. Read selected research papers. Find a topic and resources to do research in. Etc.

ricky33 said:
Why if a young person like 21 years old with no degrer made a new discovery in theoretical physics like an equation or a theory will not be accepted by people and no one will believe him ? What he should do before to let people accept his discovery ? Can it be accepted if that person was not famous and didn't won any physics award and and he don't publish physics article etc. ??

The first thing they should do is make lots of vague, empty posts on internet forums suggesting they've come up with it. This hasn't been done before, it's good use of everyone's time, and it will definitely lead to general acceptance of the new theory. Maybe even fame and fortune, you never know.

Let your friend or whomever the genius is who made these discoveries know! They should start a new thread here. Or two!

Likes fresh_42
Does anyone think that indulging Ricky's fantasies helps him? Or anyone?

Vanadium 50 said:
Does anyone think that indulging Ricky's fantasies helps him? Or anyone?

I am wondering why we should even bother continuing to respond to the OP on this thread. Recommend that this thread be closed.

I agree, I don't think further discussion would help anyone.

1. Can a young person with no degree pursue a career in theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible for a young person with no degree to pursue a career in theoretical physics. While having a degree in physics or a related field can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many successful theoretical physicists have started their careers without a degree and have made significant contributions to the field.

2. What steps should a young person take to become a theoretical physicist without a degree?

A young person interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics without a degree should focus on building a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. They should also seek out opportunities for research or internships in the field, attend conferences and workshops, and network with established theoretical physicists. Additionally, self-study and online courses can be valuable resources for gaining knowledge and skills in theoretical physics.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD in theoretical physics to make significant contributions to the field?

While having a PhD in theoretical physics can certainly be beneficial, it is not a requirement for making significant contributions to the field. Many renowned theoretical physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, did not have PhDs. What is most important is having a deep understanding of the subject matter and the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing a career in theoretical physics without a degree?

One potential disadvantage of pursuing a career in theoretical physics without a degree is that it may be more difficult to find job opportunities and gain recognition within the scientific community. Additionally, having a degree can provide a more structured and rigorous education in theoretical physics. However, with determination and hard work, these challenges can be overcome and a successful career in theoretical physics is still possible.

5. What can a young person with no degree do to stand out in the field of theoretical physics?

To stand out in the field of theoretical physics without a degree, a young person can focus on developing their research skills and pursuing independent projects. They can also seek out mentors and collaborate with other scientists, participate in conferences and workshops, and publish their work in scientific journals. Additionally, having a unique perspective and being open to new ideas and approaches can also help a young person stand out in the field.