1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics What should a young man do to let his discovery in physics be accepted over the world ?

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    Why if a young person like 21 years old with no degrer made a new discovery in theoretical physics like an equation or a theory will not be accepted by people and no one will belive him ? What he should do before to let people accept his discovery ? Can it be accepted if that person was not famous and didn't won any physics award and and he don't publish physics article etc. ??

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2
    Without a degree, he/she probably does not have a complete knowledge of physics, and has likely made a mistake.

4. May 28, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Tell his scientist friends. To discover something, you have to know the existing theories and observations. It is impossible to get an overview over them without also getting in contact to scientists.

Anyway, this is a purely hypothetical question. It is something that simply does not happen. It never did, and there is no reason to expect this to change

5. May 28, 2016 #4
    Without a degree but maybe by studiying till grad in personal courses

6. May 28, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Those courses teach the basics, mainy things discovered/done decades to centuries ago. They are not the science done today.

7. May 28, 2016 #6
    he can study the courses of graduate and those for the phd and from books and many other things he can make a discovery

8. May 28, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why are we talking about this? This kind of thing just doesn't happen. It has never happened in modern physics and it will never happen.
    Furthermore, you haven't even studied Halliday & Resnick, so why is this so important to you?

9. May 28, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are currently over 1 million articles on arXiv. How will you choose which to read and which not to read? How will you choose which books to read and which not to read? How will you know you're not having any misconceptions? How will you ind a topic that is both accessible and something novel enough?

10. May 28, 2016 #9

mfb

2016 Award

No he cannot. You don't even know what has been studied and what not without doing actual research, in contact with actual researchers.

11. May 28, 2016 #10

fresh_42

It is very simple. Resources are limited and so is time. Just ask yourself why anybody should decide to spend his time on reading something which might be already known or even wrong with a high probability? Personally, I can't even read everything I'd like to.

12. May 28, 2016 #11
    By searching and getting the curriculum used in one university and study their courses

13. May 28, 2016 #12
    He can ask some scientits or search for the curriculim of some universitirs there is a lot my friend have seen courses on MIT for undergrad and graduate

14. May 28, 2016 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK cool. That will make you understand a lot physics up to 1950 - 1970. What about the modern parts of physics? How do you know whether a certain topic is good to pursue?

15. May 28, 2016 #14
    MIT courses aren't good ?
    And I can get the books used in the curriculum of universities

16. May 28, 2016 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You seem to be missing the point. MIT courses and books are excellent. But they only take you so far. They will not bring you to research level. Only research papers and discussions with professionals can do that.

17. May 28, 2016 #16
    So you are telling me that those who are studiying for a Phd in MIT are not good enought to make reasearchs and discoveries ?

18. May 28, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I didn't say that at all??

What I'm saying is that if somebody studies only MIT coursework and textbooks, then he will miss too much background to do research.

19. May 28, 2016 #18

fresh_42

It might be a good idea to continue this debate until the study of MIT coursework and textbooks will have happened. Might take some years, though. The desire and wish to discuss several topics with other researchers and scientist will come along anyway. (personal opinion)

20. May 28, 2016 #19
    what do you think they should do more than that ?

21. May 28, 2016 #20

mfb

2016 Award

Those studying for a PhD at MIT are in contact with scientists before they even start their own research projects. And when they do, they discuss with scientists which projects would be interesting, and get help from those scientists to get started.

The lectures alone are not sufficient to contribute to science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook