What should be my plan if I wish to do physics in Europe?

In summary: There is a lot of information on the internet on how to proceed with immigration procedures. Check out the websites of research institutes and universities in the country you are interested in and write ordinary application emails. Most physicists do condensed matter or optics, so positions in these fields are more abundant and less contested. People come here for a PhD from developing countries, with sometimes questionable qualifications from their previous university.
astroman707
I'm currently an undergrad in the United States, and plan on pursuing my PhD in physics. I'm most interested in astrophysics and cosmology, and an ideal job would be a faculty position.
I really want to work in Europe, and am willing to choose another focus area of physics, as well as different jobs in physics. Also, by work, I mean after one gets their PhD and so forth.
What's a good plan of action for someone wanting to do work in physics in Europe? For example, PhD focus, location of PhD(country), types of physics jobs available, languages usually required, physics jobs that are more common, etc...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
astroman707 said:
PhD focus, location of PhD(country)
PhD positions in Europe are often tied to a specific advisor or group. I would suggest that you figure out what areas you could imagine focusing on first and then seeking out groups that work in those areas. Find out if they have any open positions and whether or not you are eligible to apply. (The European university system works a bit differently. In order to qualify you would have to be deemed to have a knowledge level equivalent to a European bachelor+master, which is typically a total of 5 years of full time studies.) Of course, if there are countries that you really would not like to go to, do not apply there. Otherwise, apply to what matches your interests. There will be a large number of applicants for each position and as a non-local (meaning from the university in question), you will often compete with others who have done their Master theses in the same group (already knowing that you can work with someone is a huge plus when hiring a student).

astroman707 said:
languages usually required
For work as a PhD student, you will most likely only require English. Research environments are international and publication is essentially exclusively done in English in all fields that I am even vaguely familiar with. For getting by outside of work, not knowing the local language can be an issue. In the Nordic countries, you will have no issues whatsoever - you can talk to most people in the street in English. My feeling is that not knowing the local language becomes more and more of an issue the larger the language is (in terms of native speakers).
Whether this is something desirable or not is up to you, many people enjoy the challenge of learning a new language.

You check the websites of research institutes and universities and write ordinary application emails. Most physicists do condensed matter or optics, so positions in these fields are more abundant and less contested. People come here for a PhD from developing countries, with sometimes questionable qualifications from their previous university. You'll probably have 2-3 Skype sessions with European professors and someone will ask you to come over and take the position. For immigration procedures, the local university will then be able to assist you a bit but there's also plenty of information on the internet.

What are the top universities in Europe for studying physics?

The top universities for studying physics in Europe are Cambridge University, Oxford University, ETH Zurich, Imperial College London, and University of Munich.

What are the basic requirements for studying physics in Europe?

The basic requirements for studying physics in Europe vary depending on the university and country. Generally, you will need a high school diploma or equivalent, good grades in mathematics and science courses, and proficiency in the language of instruction.

What is the typical duration of a physics degree in Europe?

The typical duration of a physics degree in Europe is 3-4 years for a Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years for a Master's degree. PhD programs can range from 3-5 years.

Are there any scholarships available for international students studying physics in Europe?

Yes, there are several scholarships available for international students studying physics in Europe. Some popular options include the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, the DAAD Scholarship, and the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Scholarship.

What are the career prospects for physics graduates in Europe?

There are many career opportunities for physics graduates in Europe, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. Other popular career paths include data analysis, consulting, and teaching. The demand for physics graduates is high, and the salary potential is also promising.