Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I do my MS (concurrent BS) in?

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    My school has a program where you can earn a BS and an MS in engineering in 4 years. Due to course scheduling (courses not being offered every term), I can't graduate a year early. Ultimately I plan to pursue a PhD in Chemical Engineering. I would be doing a thesis with the MS.

I was wondering whether I should do the MS in Chemical Engineering (to perhaps contribute to my PhD requirements later on, or at maybe improve my chances at being admitted to a desired program due to the thesis), or if I should do the MS in Applied Mathematics (took a PDE class and really enjoy courses that use a lot of applied math and modeling like transport phenomena and quantum chemistry). I'm wondering if it's possible to pick up the applied mathematics knowledge once I start a PhD, then the Chemical Engineering MS might make more sense. But at the same time I also want to try something else before entering the PhD.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted