1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I do my MS (concurrent BS) in?

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    My school has a program where you can earn a BS and an MS in engineering in 4 years. Due to course scheduling (courses not being offered every term), I can't graduate a year early. Ultimately I plan to pursue a PhD in Chemical Engineering. I would be doing a thesis with the MS.

I was wondering whether I should do the MS in Chemical Engineering (to perhaps contribute to my PhD requirements later on, or at maybe improve my chances at being admitted to a desired program due to the thesis), or if I should do the MS in Applied Mathematics (took a PDE class and really enjoy courses that use a lot of applied math and modeling like transport phenomena and quantum chemistry). I'm wondering if it's possible to pick up the applied mathematics knowledge once I start a PhD, then the Chemical Engineering MS might make more sense. But at the same time I also want to try something else before entering the PhD.

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted