1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should i do now

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hi, today i heard that news from my college. 75% of my classmates leave the Nuclear engineering course after freshman year. They move to new college to learn other thing or change the program, omg i can't believe it. They did not tell me anything before they leave. After Fukushima they don't want to learn nuclear engineering anymore, they move to other college to learn economy, civil , or some guy join the army. I can't believe i will stay with < 15 classmates. I got a gov scholarship to go to Russia but i refuse because i want to stay with my classmates. And now no one will stay with me :( What should i do now?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2
    I'm sorry to hear that. Do you really want to learn nuclear engineering? What other options are you considering?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    I love nuclear engineering and now i do not have a chance to change to other. Now i have to learn until graduate without friends.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4
    Do you not know any of the people remaining?

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5
    Fukushima seemed to be a massive shock to everyone, but different countries reacted differently. Germany has ceased all plans to expand nuclear, whereas the UK is building 15 new sites.

It sounds like you have been a victim of circumstance, but on the plus-side 75% of your competition for graduate jobs just disappeared. Lucky you.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6
    Ok. Thank. Now i'm thinking of nuclear medicine, is it ok?

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7
    Nuclear medicine is pretty awesome. I know that Canada is the largest exporter of medical isotopes and nuclear engineers are in demand in that industry. Plus, we have the CANDU reactors that many nuclear engineers are employed in.

9. Aug 25, 2011 #8
    Why do you care what other people are doing? If you want to study nuclear engineering then damn well study nuclear engineering. If more people are leaving the field then that means there will be a higher demand for people with your expertise. There are many countries that use nuclear energy so there will still be a demand for nuclear engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook