What should I do with my old car

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: Frames can sometimes be repaired, so the right person may still see value in your car. Also, sometimes people rebuild cars and buy one like yours for spare parts, so again, the right person... might see value in your car.
humanino
It did not pass inspection, because of frame damage. I think we bought it with the frame damage, two years ago. Last year, it passed inspection in a gas station. This year we decided to have the inspection in a garage, partly because we were wondering why we need alignment so often. Now we know.

We already bought a brand new car. Now we need to figure out what is best to do with the old one. We are being told to give it to a charity, rather than a junk yard. But it does not seem that tax return will amount to more than a dozen of dollars. Kelly Blue Book says it's worth around $1000. Many parts are still valuable, including a running engine.

If anybody has a good advice, we would appreciate your help. Thank you even if you just read :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I live in a state that doesn't have car inspections.

I am faced with the same situation, and was curious what are the options. I think either sell it or scrap metal, in either way the price will probably be the same. Then again, I usually use things until they fall apart or clothe become worn to shreds. When it comes to a car, though, I wouldn't want to use it past a certain point, or sell it to anyone else to use, potentially killing themselves.

You'll get more money if you sell it for parts. Sending it to the junk yard will get you some cash, but not a lot. Giving it to charity will just give someone a car with a bent frame.

I am surprised it isn't totaled because of frame damage, most cars I have seen with even a small amount of chassis damage are deemed totaled.

So if you have the time, ebay or craigslist it for parts, and you could make as much as 50% more than what it BB'd at.

How old is this car that it actually still has a frame? Or is it a truck?

Turn it into your 2nd home a place where you can stay when you know who gets upset about your gambling addictions.

We gave our last car to the county police department. Our police department has a training track that they practice pit maneuvers on. Your car sounds like a perfect one to bang around the track. :tongue: Since they are actually using the vehicle and not reselling it, we were able to deduct the entire Blue Book value.

humanino said:
It did not pass inspection, because of frame damage. I think we bought it with the frame damage, two years ago. Last year, it passed inspection in a gas station. This year we decided to have the inspection in a garage, partly because we were wondering why we need alignment so often. Now we know.

We already bought a brand new car. Now we need to figure out what is best to do with the old one. We are being told to give it to a charity, rather than a junk yard. But it does not seem that tax return will amount to more than a dozen of dollars. Kelly Blue Book says it's worth around $1000. Many parts are still valuable, including a running engine.

If anybody has a good advice, we would appreciate your help. Thank you even if you just read :smile:

Frame damage can sometimes be repaired, so the right person may still see value in your car. Also, sometimes people rebuild cars and buy one like yours for spare parts, so again, the right person...

Videotape it crashing and blowing up and then put it up on youtube. If it becomes popular you could make tons of money from ads.

The vehicle sounds like ideal for Craigs list.

Parting out would likely be the most profitable option, especially since the blue book value is so low. But the problem with parting out a car is, it's an eyesore. It will sit in your driveway or yard, while slowly being nibbled away. It could take years!

I say, sell it to a junkyard. If you really want to do something charitable, give half the procedes to a charity, then use the other half to treat you and your sweetie to a nice night out.

(Just curious, what kind of car is it?)

Thanks all for you advices, including the youtube one :rofl:
lisab said:
(Just curious, what kind of car is it?)
It is a Mitsubishi Eclipse 98.

After reading Ivan Seeking's advice, I realized I actually have a friend who fixes old cars. He might be interested, even maybe just for the engine. To him I would just give away.

Ricers around the world will rejoice if you part that out. It should go pretty quickly.

MotoH said:
Ricers around the world will rejoice if you part that out. It should go pretty quickly.

Now why you got to call them ricers?

cronxeh said:
Now why you got to call them ricers?

Ricer:
(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to): etc etc.

MotoH said:
Ricer:
(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to): etc etc.

Ehh.. Ok let's pretend that is what it is

Vtec_kick_in_yo.jpg

I had been a dedicated Harley convert since the Evo engine hit the line in 1985. Having owned, tuned, modified, and raced Japanese bikes for the previous 10-12 years, I never stooped to calling them ricers. Guys could ride a Suzuki GS 1100 to the track, thread on a nitrous bottle and kick the *** of everybody on the track, including injected and blown Harleys. The Japanese make really hot vehicles!

What should I do with my old car?

There are a few options for what you can do with your old car:

• You can sell it privately to someone who may still find use for it.
  • You can trade it in at a dealership if you are purchasing a new car.
  • You can donate it to a charity for a tax deduction.
  • You can recycle it at a designated facility.
  • You can simply junk it by selling it to a scrapyard.

How do I determine the value of my old car?

The value of your old car depends on various factors such as the make, model, year, condition, and market demand. You can use online appraisal tools or consult a reputable dealership to get an estimate of its value.

What are the benefits of donating my old car?

Donating your old car to a charity can have several benefits. You can get a tax deduction for the value of the car, support a cause you believe in, and avoid the hassle of selling or junking the car yourself.

Is it worth it to recycle my old car?

Recycling your old car is not only environmentally-friendly but can also be financially beneficial. Many recycling facilities will pay you for the scrap metal in your car, and you can also feel good about reducing your carbon footprint.

What documents do I need to sell or dispose of my old car?

When selling or disposing of your old car, you will typically need the car's title, registration, and bill of sale. If you are donating the car, the charity may also require these documents. It's always best to check with your local DMV or the specific organization for their specific requirements.