Create VR: What Courses Do You Need? (Australia/Sydney)

• Thread starter fire&ice
  • Start date
In summary, to create virtual reality content, you may need to go through courses such as computer science, software engineering, or electrical engineering. Electronic imaging may also be helpful in this field. Virtual reality typically requires skills in computer science and engineering. Additionally, there is a collaborative engineering project involving virtual reality and the International Space Station. The purpose of the virtual reality project the individual is interested in is to provide an immersive world for people who are unable to travel due to disabilities. However, this technology may not yet be advanced enough for this purpose.
fire&ice
What courses do you need to go through in order to make virtual reality stuff? Cause I really want to do it, but I really research it on google, and none of my friends know nothing about it, so I don't really know what courses i have to do to creature Virtual Reality stuff.
Btw I live in Australia, Sydney so if anyone knows any courses in Australia that i could do please post replies, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have thought that a degree in computer science should be sufficient, or perhaps a software engineering course. Depends what you want to do in the virtual reality business. If you want to make hardware then computer science or electrical engineering would make sense. If you want to be part of the production of software then software enginering.

Electronic imaging might be what you are looking for. Its considered an extension of art, not sure what you define as virtual reality. What are you looking to do, modeling, simulation, video games, 3d movies etc?

Virtual reality is usually the purview of computer scientists and engineers. I have worked with an aerospace engineer, a nuclear engineer and numerous otther who designed what is known as "The Cave" which is a virtual reality simulation of the ISS that incorporates the work done on radiation shielding. It is an immersive environment that can be used to help train new astronauts on the radiation "hot spots" of the ISS. Sorry to ramble on.

You can read a quick excerpt about the collaborative engineering project Here (pdf document)

SRode said:
Electronic imaging might be what you are looking for. Its considered an extension of art, not sure what you define as virtual reality. What are you looking to do, modeling, simulation, video games, 3d movies etc?

I like to make like another worldly Reality, the purpose of it is that when people are nearly at the end of their lives and they want to travel around the world but unfortunately they are disable, so I wanted to make a world where they can do anything (i.e Flying) and see anything they want. but I guess this is getting too far and technology isn't as advanced yet, I'm going to do my subject selection 2 more days ><

1. What is VR?

VR stands for virtual reality, which is a computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a headset with a screen or gloves fitted with sensors.

2. What courses do I need to take to learn how to create VR?

The courses you need to take to learn how to create VR will depend on your current level of knowledge and experience. However, some common courses that may be helpful include programming, game design, graphic design, and 3D modeling. You may also want to take courses specifically focused on VR development, such as courses on Unity or Unreal Engine.

3. Are there any specific courses or programs for VR development in Australia/Sydney?

Yes, there are several courses and programs offered in Australia/Sydney that focus on VR development. Some examples include the Virtual and Augmented Reality (VAR) program at the University of Technology Sydney, the Virtual Reality Design and Development course at RMIT University, and the Virtual Reality and Game Design program at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment.

4. Are there any online courses available for VR development?

Yes, there are many online courses available for VR development. Some popular options include Udemy's "Learn to Create VR Games in Unity" course, Coursera's "Introduction to Virtual Reality" course, and LinkedIn Learning's "Virtual Reality Foundations" course. It is important to do your research and choose a reputable course that aligns with your learning goals.

5. Do I need to have a background in coding to create VR?

It is not necessary to have a background in coding to create VR, but it can be helpful. Many VR development tools and platforms, such as Unity and Unreal Engine, use coding languages like C# and C++ to create VR experiences. However, there are also drag-and-drop interfaces and visual scripting tools available that do not require coding knowledge. It is important to assess your goals and choose a learning path that aligns with your skills and interests.