Student in Argentina Seeking Advice on Degree Path

• Thread starter RadioactivMan
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a student in Argentina and is considering pursuing a "Licenciatura" in physics which would take an additional year on top of their current program. They are interested in applying to graduate programs in the US or Europe in the future. They are seeking opinions from those who have been in a similar situation. The individual also mentions that many universities allow for graduate studies after obtaining a bachelor's equivalent and shares a friend's experience with their degree not being accepted as a master's in a US program. However, they reassure that entering at 24 years old is not a problem and may even give them an advantage in completing the program faster.
RadioactivMan
hi,
I am a student in a university in Argentina, here the time need to get a "Licenciatura"(I think is the equivalent to a master in Europe-not sure about the equivalent in USA ) is 5 years. At the moment I am in the E.E program but the next year I want to start the "Licenciatura" in physics doing both it would take me 6 years at least I hope so.
So, the questions are:
Should I start with the physics degree or should continue with just E.E?
Would getting into graduate program being like 24 years be a problem while applying to Universities in USA or Europe( after learning more English I`m planning to get into a graduate program there, at least i hope so)?

I appreciate any opinion, especial of those who are or were in a similar situation.

(sorry if I did many mistakes in my writing)

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know if that knowledge will be helpful, but a lot of universities allow to aplly graduate studies after obtaining bachelor equivalent.

I have a friend who came to do her PhD in the US from Argentina (Mar del Plata). She had the 5-year degree, and it was not accepted as a masters degree by the (not highly ranked) program she attended here - she had to take the masters courses again. But she did very well in them, at least. So you'd probably be accepted at the masters level (and have to do the masters again even for a PhD program) but you can probably finish it faster than most students because you'll have seen a lot of the material before. Entering at 24 isn't a problem at all. You'll still be younger than many students.

What are the most popular degree options for students in Argentina?

The most popular degree options for students in Argentina are law, medicine, engineering, psychology, and business administration.

What factors should a student consider when choosing a degree path in Argentina?

Some factors to consider when choosing a degree path in Argentina include personal interests, job market demand, salary potential, and future career goals.

Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for international students seeking a degree in Argentina?

Yes, international students must have a valid student visa and meet the specific admission requirements of the university they are applying to. They may also need to demonstrate proficiency in the Spanish language.

What are the benefits of studying in Argentina for a degree?

Studying in Argentina for a degree provides students with the opportunity to immerse themselves in a new culture, gain a global perspective, and potentially learn a new language. Additionally, universities in Argentina are known for their high-quality education and affordable tuition fees.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for international students in Argentina?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students in Argentina. These include government scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and exchange programs. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.