Pursuing Education in Organic Chemistry/Physics: What Should I Do?

In summary: Thirdly, even if you don't have a 4-year degree, most unis will still accept you as long as you have good grades and test scores. Community college? How do students go about transferring from community college to state universities, and what university would be an option?Most students go through a process called "transferring in." Basically, you take the courses you need to get your associate's degree at the community college, and then you petition your original school for an "official" transfer credit. Once your original school approves the transfer, you have officially transferred and can begin attending the community college full-time. From there, you can continue taking the courses you need to transfer to a four-year university
That Neuron
Hi everyone!

I am a high school sophomore (But I am 17... yes, I know), I would like to pursue an education in organic chemistry or physics, after all both fields are deeply connected. For anyone still wondering why I am a sophomore at 17, it is largely because I was enrolled with an online-correspondence based school, which in all fairness was a very pleasant experience. However, it has allowed me to pursue my own interests over the course work.

Right now I am almost finished with Stewart's Calculus 3rd edition... actually I think there is a review on this site. Although I can't say I found the book "easy", I did not find it particularly hard. Once I am finished with this I would like to begin either multivariable calculus or linear algebra in conjunction with Linus Pauling's General chemistry.
My schooling has stopped with 96-99% in hon algebra, hon geometry, hon chemistry, hon biology and a few english courses. And that is pretty much all I have credit for in high school. :cry:

I mean I have read other books and such of course.

I would love to go to M.I.T. or Caltech, but that would just be for my self esteem.

Now I have pretty much been dropped from my course because I didn't finish my other subjects. Sure if I had funds I could re enroll, but I don't. What should I do? Community college? How do students go about transferring from community college to state universities, and what university would be an option?

Thanks everyone :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, that's an interesting position to be in.

U.S. college, at least good ones like MIT, Caltech, and Columbia, will actually accept applications from home schoolers, even float out high school drop outs who have *not* completely any sort of correspondence programs, but who nonetheless kept studying on their own (so-called "unschoolers"). They only require, of course, that your application reflect your general ongoing interest in the sciences and your reediness for their programs, which it looks like you could probably demonstrate.

However, you absolutely will have to have excellent SAT and AP test scores, especially without a formal high school degree; but if you have good SAT and AP scores then you can get away with just about any sort of educational history. So, you don't have to leapfrog your way in via community colleges, you can just apply to state and private schools directly. Though, of school, going to a community college for the first year or two will definitely save you some money.

I have a few more detailed tips on doing college applications with unusual backgrounds actually, because I've talked extensively on the topic with the admissions people at the schools you mentioned, and a few others too. If you would be curious to have a more detailed sort of discussion about it then check your private message inbox, I just sent you my IM address.

trent.frost said:
...who have *not* completely any sort of correspondence programs...

Type-o:
completely -> completed

Heh

trent.frost said:
Ah, that's an interesting position to be in.

However, you absolutely will have to have excellent SAT and AP test scores, especially without a formal high school degree; but if you have good SAT and AP scores then you can get away with just about any sort of educational history.
Well first of all, unis don't use your ap score to decide your admission and it is obvious from the fact that ap scores come much later than when regular college decisions are released; you don't even report your ap scores when applying. Secondly, the statement you made is highly inaccurate: do you think MIT and Caltech are really that naive that they would only rely on what they know is a joke of a standardized exam? There are numerous factors that are taken into account above the SAT.

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in organic chemistry or physics! Both fields are very fascinating and have a lot of potential for discovery and innovation. It's also impressive that you have completed Stewart's Calculus 3rd edition and are considering taking on multivariable calculus or linear algebra next.

As for your question about what to do next, there are a few things you can consider. First, if you are interested in attending a prestigious university like M.I.T. or Caltech, you can look into their admission requirements and see what courses they recommend or require for admission. This can give you a better idea of what subjects you should focus on in your studies.

In terms of your current situation, community college can be a good option for students who want to continue their education but may not have the funds to attend a university right away. Many community colleges have transfer agreements with state universities, which can make the transition to a university smoother. You can also reach out to the admissions offices of the state universities you are interested in and inquire about their transfer policies. They may also have resources or programs specifically for transfer students.

In the meantime, you can continue to self-study and read books in organic chemistry and physics to further your knowledge and understanding of these subjects. This can also help you stand out on college applications and show your dedication and interest in these fields. Additionally, you can look into internships or research opportunities at local universities or companies to gain hands-on experience and strengthen your application.

Overall, it's important to keep pursuing your interests and education, even if your current schooling situation may not be ideal. With determination and hard work, you can still achieve your goals and continue your studies in organic chemistry or physics. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the career outlook for individuals with a degree in organic chemistry or physics?

The career outlook for individuals with a degree in organic chemistry or physics is highly promising. Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, and materials science. With the increasing demand for sustainable solutions and advancements in technology, there is a growing need for professionals with expertise in organic chemistry and physics.

2. What are the key skills required to succeed in pursuing education in organic chemistry or physics?

Some key skills that are necessary for success in pursuing education in organic chemistry or physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a solid foundation in mathematics. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills can also be beneficial in these fields.

3. What is the difference between organic chemistry and physics?

Organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, reactions, and synthesis. Physics, on the other hand, is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. While both fields involve a deep understanding of fundamental principles, organic chemistry is more focused on the chemical properties and reactions of organic compounds, while physics covers a broader range of topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

4. What are some potential career paths for individuals with a degree in organic chemistry or physics?

Individuals with a degree in organic chemistry or physics can pursue a variety of career paths, including becoming a research scientist, process chemist, analytical chemist, materials scientist, pharmaceutical chemist, or physics teacher. They may also find opportunities in industries such as healthcare, environmental science, renewable energy, and nanotechnology.

5. How can I prepare for a successful career in organic chemistry or physics?

To prepare for a successful career in organic chemistry or physics, it is important to first build a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of these fields through coursework, laboratory experiences, and research opportunities. Networking with professionals in the field and participating in internships or co-op programs can also provide valuable hands-on experience and help develop industry-specific skills. Additionally, staying updated on advancements and trends in the field through conferences, workshops, and publications can also be beneficial.