What Should I Expect from My Physics 1 Course?

In summary: You might want to brush up on your geometry too, things like angles in radians and degrees, basic shapes and properties (like the Pythagorean theorem), basic properties of lines (like slope and direction), basic properties of points (like distance and direction from a given point), basic angles in a right triangle (like the sum of the two angles in the triangle), basic trigonometry (like sin and cos).In summary, the course is rigorous and you need to be prepared for a lot of math. However, the professor is very communicative and will help you if you need it. The course also emphasizes thinking analytically, so if you're used to that kind of thinking, it'll be a breeze.
zAbso
I'm going into my Physics 1 course blind. Not blind in the sense that I know nothing about physics, but in the sense that I have no idea of what to expect in the course. I haven't spoken to anyone that has previously taken the course, nor was I able to speak with the professor before we went on our holiday/New Years break.

There also seems to be a lab that goes along with the course.

What should I expect?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the course description say? In particular, what are the pre-requisites, if any? I'm thinking in particular of math prerequisites: Calculus 1? Calculus 2? Or are they co-requisites instead of pre-requisites?

jtbell said:
Or are they co-requisites instead of pre-requisites?
The only pre-requisite for the course is Calculus 1. I'm also taking Calculus 2 along side the course.

zAbso said:
I'm going into my Physics 1 course blind. Not blind in the sense that I know nothing about physics, but in the sense that I have no idea of what to expect in the course. I haven't spoken to anyone that has previously taken the course, nor was I able to speak with the professor before we went on our holiday/New Years break.

There also seems to be a lab that goes along with the course.

What should I expect?

Have you gotten a syllabus yet (or Googled the class section to see if it's online)? That's a good place to start. You'll probably cover basic kinematics, Newtons laws, frames of reference, circular motion, work, energy, power, rotational kinematics, moments of inertia, torques, collisions, simple harmonic motion... etc. Basic derivatives and integrals should be known, trig, algebraic manipulation, solving systems of equations. Helpful is to have a knowledge of partial derivatives, some differential equations, series approximations, cylindrical coordinates, vectors, etc. I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting, and probably stuff I'm adding that isn't really needed for all courses. My memory is fuzzy about my own first intro course, you should also read the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/members/symbolipoint.58864/ linked to.

Rotational inertia is probably the most calculus intense, and fluid's if you cover them. The majority of the math (cylindrical coordinates, some differential equations, series, and vectors) you will also be covered in your calculus two course, and you might have had some in trig already.

Are you using Loyds manual for the lab section? It's pretty popular. We used it at CC. I think the older editions are free to reproduce, which makes it a real money saver.

For the lab section, it would be helpful to learn a couple of techniques now, like how to calculate standard deviations, standard errors, linear regression techniques, rejection of data based on sigma criteria, etc. You'll probably cover it, but it really needs to be mastered for the lab section (you'll use it basically every lab, most likely). Maybe you'll find this helpful: http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/AppendixB/AppendixB.html

Edit: I was trying to find something that would explain linear least squares fits and correlation coefficients, this is the best I can come up with:

https://mathway.com/examples/Statistics/Correlation-and-Regression

Basically shows you how to do it, but doesn't really explain what you're doing. So I don't know how helpful it would be.

If your algebra and trig are good, you should be fine like SP points out.

Last edited:
Likes zAbso

What should I expect when starting a new experiment?

When starting a new experiment, you should expect to follow a specific protocol or procedure outlined by your research team or supervisor. This may involve preparing materials and equipment, taking measurements, and recording data.

What should I expect during data collection?

During data collection, you should expect to carefully follow the protocol and record data accurately. You may also encounter unexpected results or challenges, which is normal in the scientific process.

What should I expect during data analysis?

During data analysis, you should expect to use statistical methods to interpret your data and draw conclusions. This may involve using software programs or creating graphs and charts to visualize your data.

What should I expect in terms of timeline for completing a research project?

The timeline for completing a research project can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. It is important to communicate with your team or supervisor to set realistic timelines and expectations for completing the project.

What should I expect in terms of potential challenges or setbacks?

In any scientific experiment, there is always the potential for challenges or setbacks. These may include equipment malfunctions, unexpected results, or difficulties in data collection. It is important to stay organized, communicate with your team, and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.