1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I say?

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    All being well, to study a few subjects at A-level Maths, Physics, ICT, Computer Science (maybe something else, still deciding) I will go to a Grammar school near where I live. Now, currently I don't have the required to get in to this school - but. If I can get an interview, and somewhat prove to the school that I am worthy enough, I could get accepted.

If I do get an interview, what should I say that will favor me over maybe 100+ other people?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean you "don't have the required to get in"? Do you mean your GCSEs?

Firstly, you need to work out what the 6th form is looking for. The chances are, at this stage, they don't care about any experience, they're just looking for academic excellence. There's only so much they can bend the entry requirements to allow people in, especially if it's a public (USans read 'private') school.

Secondly, ask yourself what qualities you think you have, and see how you can work these around being beneficial at 6th form. Be polite and restrained, but try to appear confident and outgoing. If you don't know the answer to any question they ask you, don't be afraid to ask for help. I was recently asked a tough question in an interview which I had no idea about, so I asked the interviewer the answer! In the end, the interviewing panel was more impressed by my willingness to learn than if I'd just memorised the answer out of a textbook.

Thirdly, and I don't mean to be harsh or rude, but if you don't have very good GCSE results then you're going to find a Maths A-level an uphill struggle, let alone Physics and any others. I don't want to put you off, but it's a tough, demanding course and you really do need a very good maths foundation if you want to succeed at A-level.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

4. May 9, 2005 #3
    Thanks brewnog. I have done alot / am doing alot currently that could put me forward from others (Being a leader of a scouting group is a prime example)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?