What should I study to be an EE or ME?

• Thread starter Acadeus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Study
In summary: Overall, it's important to gather as much information as possible and weigh your interests and strengths to make an informed decision. In summary, the speaker is torn between pursuing mechanical or electrical engineering and is seeking information and advice to make a decision. They are interested in both fields and are looking for resources and opportunities to learn more about them.
Acadeus
I seem to be at a stalemate.

I have an interest in the workings of all things, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and getting hands-on with my job. I enjoy tinkering and designing (using the word lightly) things for fun, also an interest in circuits and the works.

I am trying to figure out which field to pursue, both mechanical and electrical engineering have qualities that peak my interests but I feel as if i cannot go without one or the other. I believe having a conversation or an informational briefing on what both fields entitle would greatly benefit a decision.

Overall I have had a difficulty in gathering precise information on what either field contains and what I have gathered has brought me to these two subjects.

Anything that can be provided would be appreciated.

if you are willing a discussion PM me

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to learn more about mechanical and electrical engineering, there are a few resources you can use. You can start by researching online and reading up on the different topics - this will give you an idea of what each field entails and what the differences are between them. You can also look into speaking with professionals in either field to get their insights and advice on which path would be best for you. Additionally, you can look into attending a local college or university to take classes in both fields to gain a better understanding of what they entail. Finally, you can look into joining organizations related to the fields that offer hands-on experiences and networking opportunities.

What are the main differences between studying Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering (EE) focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while Mechanical Engineering (ME) focuses on the design, development, and operation of mechanical systems. EE involves working with circuits, computers, and communication systems, while ME involves working with machines, structures, and materials.

What are the core courses that I should take for a degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

For a degree in EE, core courses typically include calculus, physics, circuit analysis, electronics, and electromagnetics. For a degree in ME, core courses typically include calculus, physics, mechanics, materials science, and thermodynamics. Both degrees may also require courses in computer programming and design.

What skills are important for success in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

Some important skills for success in EE include strong math and problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge of circuits and electronics, and proficiency with computer programming and software. For ME, important skills include strong math and physics knowledge, mechanical design abilities, and proficiency with computer-aided design (CAD) software.

What are the career opportunities for Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering graduates?

Both EE and ME offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries. Graduates of EE may work in fields such as communications, power systems, or computer hardware and software. Graduates of ME may work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, or manufacturing. Both degrees also offer opportunities in research and development.

Can I study both Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at the same time?

It is possible to study both EE and ME, but it may be challenging due to the different focus and requirements of each degree. Some universities offer joint programs or allow students to specialize in both fields through elective courses. It is important to carefully plan and consult with academic advisors if considering pursuing both degrees simultaneously.