What classes should I take after Honors Algebra 2?

• Courses
  • Thread starter McWonald
  • Start date
In summary, this person is taking several courses to prepare for a future in mathematics or computer science. They recommend taking AP Calculus BC in order to do the hardest thing available. After that, they recommend taking Community College Calculus 1/2 in order to gain more experience with calculus. After that, they recommend taking a calculus course from a community college in order to gain more experience with the material.
McWonald
Physics news on Phys.org
And where does trigonometry fit into this picture? That is an essential course.

PhanthomJay said:
And where does trigonometry fit into this picture? That is an essential course.

This was taught with geometry (second semester)

After geometry, trigonometry, algebra and precalculus, you should be taking calculus.

Looks like you have all the prerequisites for calculus and linear algebra.

micromass said:
After geometry, trigonometry, algebra and precalculus, you should be taking calculus.

Should I be taking AP CALC BC or Community College Calculus 1/2. I want to do the hardest thing aviable.

AP CALC BC topics include limits, continuity, derivatives and their applications, integrals and their applications, infinite series and differential equations.

Community College Calculus 1/2
  1. Determine the existence of, estimate numerically and graphically and find analytically the limits of functions.
  2. Determine the continuity of functions at a point or on intervals and to distinguish between the types of discontinuities at a point.
  3. Recognize and determine infinite limits and the relationship to vertical asymptotes.
  4. Determine the derivative of a function using the limit definition and derivative theorems and to understand the correlation of the derivative to finding tangent lines to a graph, finding the slope of a graph at a point and finding the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.
  5. Demonstrate the ability to determine the derivative and higher order derivatives of a function explicitly and implicitly and to solve related rates problems.
  6. Determine absolute extrema on a closed interval for continuous functions and to use the first and second derivates to analyze and sketch the graph of a function, including determining intervals on which the graph is increasing, decreasing, constant, concave up or concave down and any relative extrema or inflection points.
  7. Recognize and determine limits at infinity and the relationship to horizontal asymptotes.
  8. Determine when the Mean Value Theorem can be applied and use it to solve theoretical and applied problems.
  9. Solve applied optimization problems.
  10. Use differentials and linear approximations to analyze applied problems.
  11. Demonstrate the ability to determine indefinite and definite integrals, use definite integrals to find areas of planar regions, use the Fundamental Theorems of Calculus, and integrate by substitution.
  12. Apply the competencies above to a wide range of functions, including polynomial, rational, algebraic, trigonometric, inverse trigonometric, exponential, logarithmic, hyperbolic and inverse hyperbolic.
And

1. Use antiderivatives to evaluate definite integrals, including applications such as determining area, volume of solids of revolution, arc length, area of surfaces of revolution, centroids, work, and fluid forces.
  2. Approximate a definite integral by the Trapezoidal Rule and Simpson’s Rule.
  3. Employ a variety of integration techniques to evaluate special types of integrals, including integration by parts, trigonometric integrals and substitutions, and partial fraction decomposition.
  4. Evaluate limits that result in indeterminate forms, including the application of L’Hôpital’s Rule to evaluate certain types of indeterminate forms.
  5. Evaluate improper integrals, including integrals over infinite intervals, as well as integrals in which the integrand becomes infinite within the interval of integration.
  6. Find, graph, and apply the equations of conics, including conics where the principal axes are not parallel to the coordinate axes.
  7. Determine whether a sequence or series converges or diverges.
  8. Determine the sum of convergent geometric series.
  9. Find the nth Taylor polynomial at a specified center for a function.
  10. Find, differentiate and integrate a power series for a function.
  11. Analyze curves given parametrically (e.g., eliminate the parameter and differentiate parametric equations).
  12. Graph polar equations and find the area of polar regions.
  13. Perform vector operations in the plane and space.
  14. Calculate and apply the dot and cross product of vectors

McWonald said:
As a freshman, I took Honors Geometry, next year i plan on taking Honors Algebra 2. Then...

You never say what your goal is. This is a fine path to doing science, but pretty weak for mathematics or computer science. For those you want proofs and lots of discrete math. The geometry you already did will be all that you see of that on the path you're taking.

I also note a lack of statistics, which is pretty much the only thing guaranteed to be useful no matter what you end up doing.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what to take next?

When deciding what to take next, it is important to consider your long-term goals, your current academic standing, your strengths and weaknesses, and any prerequisite courses for your intended major or career path. It is also helpful to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

2. How do I know which courses will fulfill my degree requirements?

You can refer to your degree program's curriculum or speak with your academic advisor to determine which courses will fulfill your degree requirements. Additionally, you can check your school's course catalog for specific course descriptions and requirements.

3. Is it better to take a challenging course or one that I know I can easily pass?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style and academic goals. If you thrive under challenge and are willing to put in the extra effort, a challenging course may help you develop important skills and stand out to potential employers or graduate schools. However, if you are concerned about your academic performance or are already taking a heavy course load, it may be wise to prioritize courses that you know you can excel in.

4. Should I take a course that interests me or one that is recommended for my major?

Again, this depends on your individual goals and priorities. If you are passionate about a subject and believe it will benefit your personal and academic growth, it may be worth taking even if it is not directly related to your major. However, if you are seeking to fulfill specific major requirements or prepare for a specific career, it may be more beneficial to take recommended courses.

5. How can I balance my course load to ensure I am not overwhelmed?

It is important to create a balanced course load that takes into consideration your other commitments and responsibilities. This may involve spreading out challenging courses, mixing in some easier ones, and carefully considering the workload and expectations for each course. You can also seek advice from your academic advisor to help you create a manageable schedule. Additionally, make sure to prioritize self-care and utilize resources such as tutoring or study groups to help you succeed in your courses.