What should my future job be?

• Thread starter starrygirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future Job
In summary, the person is a high school graduate looking for a job that allows them to be away from civilization and in nature for extended periods of time. However, most of these jobs involve physical labor and all-male teams, which may be challenging as the person is a woman. They prefer to work with their brain and have a scientific component to their job. They are not interested in biology, but enjoy physics and geography. Suggestions for potential careers include oil and gas exploration, being a guide, or working in fields such as agronomy, soil science, forestry science, marine science, conservation, and restoration.
starrygirl
I'm graduating from high school and I have no idea what my job should be or if a suitable even exists.

I'd really like a job that allows me to be away from civilization and in nature for extended periods of time. It absolutely does not matter where. Problem is, those jobs usually involve physical labor and all-male teams and I'm a woman. I like working with my brain rather than hands, I'd really like there to be some sort of scientific component to what I do or for some kind of thought and analysis to be involved at least. A sense of achievement rather than routine.

I don't mix well with biology, when it comes to chemical formulas and molecules I'm lost because I totally suck at chemistry, too. I like physics and geography.

So what should I do or study? Your suggestions would be very appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just joking but you can join the army and work onsite for missile early warning radars.

You'll definitely be far away from civilization in some frozen island in Alaska or in the middle of the desert.

You'll definitely be working with your brain at a computer terminal all day.

You'll definitely need to know physics for that.

Best part is, it's not that hard to get in. The army is always short of people that *absolutely love to* staff early warning radars.

But if that's not what you had in mind as an ideal career, maybe lower your expectations...

I'm not from the US, or anywhere near US for that matter. And I am intending on uni education. And joining the US army might just be a problem, too:D

I don't think my expectations are high, either. Not like I want a huge salary for doing nothing like oh so many higher-level people get. Trust me, I wish I was a people person. But I'm just...Not. I'm a nature person. So if anyone's out there with a clue go ahead and give me some suggestions :)

starrygirl said:
I'm not from the US, or anywhere near US for that matter. And I am intending on uni education. And joining the US army might just be a problem, too:D

I don't think my expectations are high, either. Not like I want a huge salary for doing nothing like oh so many higher-level people get. Trust me, I wish I was a people person. But I'm just...Not. I'm a nature person. So if anyone's out there with a clue go ahead and give me some suggestions :)

There's 3 other countries with missile defense programs, haha.

Ok, joking aside, being a guide is pretty good but it doesn't involve physics. If you're fine with being a guide for tourists and the physical labor that it involves, then that's a decent career.

But if you absolutely insist on working with your brains only away from civilization, the only 5 things that I can think of are:

1.) Oil and gas exploration
2.) Astronomy
3.) Environmental monitoring
4.) Field biology
5.) Missile radars

Problem is this: 1 is almost 100% male. 2-4 require PHDs.

Guides manage tourists. It sounds like pretty much my nightmare. I'd have to talk to not just people, but to groups of people.

Oil and gas is a wide area, I was hoping for names of jobs, I can do the rest with google.

All men is not actually so much a problem as long as the reason for it being all men isn't that it requires bear strength. I'm not a weakling or anything like that, but I can't do physical labor all day long.

starrygirl said:
Guides manage tourists. It sounds like pretty much my nightmare. I'd have to talk to not just people, but to groups of people.

Oil and gas is a wide area, I was hoping for names of jobs, I can do the rest with google.

All men is not actually so much a problem as long as the reason for it being all men isn't that it requires bear strength. I'm not a weakling or anything like that, but I can't do physical labor all day long.

Oil and gas exploration - exploration geophysicist/geologist for example. Petroleum engineering's nice too but that might involve being the only woman among 100 men on an oil rig for a few months.

starrygirl said:
I'm graduating from high school and I have no idea what my job should be or if a suitable even exists.

I'd really like a job that allows me to be away from civilization and in nature for extended periods of time. It absolutely does not matter where. Problem is, those jobs usually involve physical labor and all-male teams and I'm a woman. I like working with my brain rather than hands, I'd really like there to be some sort of scientific component to what I do or for some kind of thought and analysis to be involved at least. A sense of achievement rather than routine.

I don't mix well with biology, when it comes to chemical formulas and molecules I'm lost because I totally suck at chemistry, too. I like physics and geography.

starrygirl said:

Possibly agronomy or soil science, or forestry science, or marine science might work. There may be some requirement though on chemistry and/or biology, but more so for plants than animals.

Conservation and restoration programs are another possibility.

Last edited:
starrygirl said:

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

starrygirl said:

What would you like your future job to be? "Working with your hands" does not necessarily equate to grueling labor, and there are lots of jobs in which you need to use your brain in the field and back in the office, too. I advised another poster with similar desires that being a local (state) biologist in fisheries might be very satisfying. Survey fish populations, estimate biomass (both for food and beneficial fish), run hatcheries, and oversee stocking operations. In the winter, biologists (up here in this cold environment) generally accompany wardens out on the ice to document the size and weight of the fish caught through the ice. I love the outdoors (and hunting and fishing) and being a biologist for the state fish and game department might have been a good fit.

Life is full of "what-ifs", so get out to job fairs if they are available and see what jobs are out there. When I was a pup, Unity College (Maine) hadn't gotten it's feet wet, so I ended up going to a land-grant college studying engineering. With similar choices today, I'd pick Unity in a heartbeat. They graduate a lot of wardens, biologists, foresters, etc. That would have been a whole lot more fun than beating up my knees on concrete floors in paper mills and spending weeks away from home at a time consulting for other mills. Good luck, however you choose, but please examine your options.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on my future job?

There are several factors that you should consider when deciding on your future job. Some important ones include your interests, skills, values, work-life balance, and salary. It's important to choose a job that aligns with your interests and values, and allows you to utilize your skills. You should also consider the potential work-life balance and salary of the job, as these can greatly impact your overall satisfaction and quality of life.

2. How can I determine what career path is right for me?

Determining the right career path for you involves a lot of self-reflection and research. Start by identifying your interests, strengths, and values. Then, research different industries and job roles that align with these factors. You can also take career assessments or talk to a career counselor for guidance. It's also helpful to talk to people in different professions to gain insight into their day-to-day responsibilities and job satisfaction.

3. What should I do if I'm not sure what I want to do for a career?

If you're not sure what you want to do for a career, don't panic. It's completely normal to feel unsure about your future job. Take the time to explore different interests and try out different experiences, such as internships or part-time jobs. You can also talk to a career counselor or take career assessments to gain a better understanding of your strengths and interests. Be open to new opportunities and don't be afraid to change your career path if needed.

4. How important is job satisfaction in choosing a career?

Job satisfaction is a crucial factor in choosing a career. If you're not happy with your job, it can greatly impact your overall well-being and quality of life. It's important to choose a job that aligns with your interests, values, and skills, as this can lead to higher job satisfaction. Additionally, consider the work environment and company culture when deciding on a career, as these can also greatly impact job satisfaction.

5. What are some potential growth opportunities in different career fields?

Growth opportunities vary depending on the career field, but some common ones include promotions, salary increases, and opportunities for skill development and advancement. Some industries, such as technology and healthcare, may offer more growth opportunities than others. It's important to research and consider the potential growth opportunities in your desired career field to ensure long-term career satisfaction and development.