What should the Mathematics requirements be for a Physics degree

In summary, there is a common requirement of three semesters of Calculus for a Physics degree, but many students go beyond that in order to excel in the field. Some experts argue that courses in distribution theory and generalized functions are essential for understanding topics such as Fourier transforms and the Dirac delta function. In Australia, students can complete the equivalent of a year of university math in high school, allowing them to take more advanced math courses in their undergraduate studies. However, these additional math courses are not required because the focus is on learning physics rather than mathematics. Overall, there is only so much time and material that can be covered in a 3-4 year undergraduate degree, but some experts argue that more math courses should be included in order
berkeman said:
@stefan r and @symbolipoint -- let's please stay on-topic for the OP's question. Thanks.
symbolipoint said:
What should the Mathematics requirements for Physics degree really be?...

My answer was very much on topic: 3 years calculus and linear algebra. More requirements diminish the "degree".

You are, of course, welcome to disagree. My being wrong does not imply that I am talking about the wrong subject. Natural science professors tend to think their majors should be bigger. Humanities professors usually state the opposite position. This argument really happens at colleges and universities.

The original post also had this question:
symbolipoint said:
Why then, are these not listed as the official requirements for the degree?
Listing off lots of possible math courses does not answer that question at all.

Physics and Mathematics professors at colleges and universities try to add more mathematics requirements. Professors from other departments block those proposals. Reasons are stated more eloquently than I am likely to be capable of.

Science news on Phys.org
@stefan r, your post #27 was off-topic, and was the reason @berkeman listed your name. The title of this thread is "What should the Mathematics requirements be for a Physics degree" -- (emphasis added).
stefan r said:
English/writing so that they can write decent papers. Economics/business and maybe political sci so they can run a lab. History/social sci so they know when they are why. Psychology and communications also to run a lab. Some phys ed because brains need food and exercise and also because this is easy to work into a schedule.
Also, what does "History/social sci so they know when they are why" mean?

Likes bhobba
Mark44 said:
@stefan r, your post #27 was off-topic, and was the reason @berkeman listed your name. The title of this thread is "What should the Mathematics requirements be for a Physics degree" -- (emphasis added).

Also, what does "History/social sci so they know when they are why" mean?
Right. berkman does have a point. This point can be made better if done as a separate topic. Some departments and universities seem to like to ADD a separate WRITING course supposedly suited to a particular major field. My belief is that such a separate course should not be needed, since the major field's program should have some significant report-writing as part of more than one of the major-field's courses. A very significant routine lab exercise in some phys sci courses is the writing of formal lab reports. Any student can easily adapt to these. Note that one of the "humanities" areas is the courses which emphasise modern foreign languages; which definitely bring up instruction about both CULTURE & HISTORY, and also the workings of the LANGUAGE. The student will then develop some precise language translation, which is much like what we do mathematically anyway in our physical sciences. When "we" do this, it is between a described or representable physical situation and mathematical expressions and equations.

DaveC49 said:
I only did a very basic statistics course at first year level yet as an applied physicist, I would have benefited from far more depth in statistics.

Yes - I originally only did the minimum required which believe it or not were 4 subjects - Mathematical Statistics !A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Didnt like it much personally, but the lecturer for the advanced subjects was great - I even remember his name - Dr Ogalvie. I really liked him so, not because I liked stats much, but purely because I liked him , I did 3A and 3B. Turned out to be a very good choice not only for physics but for computing later on - they wanted all these statistical reports etc and it was great to know the background behind them. Not to 3A and 3B level, but it was very useful in understanding QM and it's probability bit such as exactly what does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principe mean. - you need to know and understand variance for that one.

Thanks
Bill

Besides having courses in advanced calculus, differential equations, and complex variables as an undergraduate physics major, I also had a course in Probability Theory given by the Mathematics Department. One of the most useful things about probability theory is the concept of the distribution function, ## F(x)=P(X \leq x) ## compared with probability density function ## f(x)=F'(x) ##. This concept is very useful in a number of places, including particle scattering, where a section (area ) on the target ## \sigma ## maps into a solid angle ## \Omega ##. (Thereby concepts like the differential scattering cross section ## \frac{ d \sigma}{d \Omega} ## are much more readily understood). And I do think in this area, the mathematicians generally have at least a slight edge over most physicists in presenting material such as this. ## \\ ## The mathematical concepts presented in the Probability course have also been very useful in understanding things such as the Planck spectral function for blackbody radiation, as well as the Maxwell/Gaussian type distribution (density) functions of particle velocities. The Probability course also covered the Standard Normal Distribution function, including how to normalize a function of the Gaussian form. The various probability concepts, including binomial trials, etc., and discrete distributions were also very good things to have learned. I would recommend that anyone who is serious about their physics education have such a course as soon as possible after the basic calculus sequence. Whether such a course should be made a requirement I think would depend somewhat on the academic ranking of the university. I think a really top notch program could do well to have such a course be part of their graduation requirements. ## \\ ## Editing: And although it might start to be a somewhat heavy load from the math department if the advanced calculus, differential equations, and complex variables courses were required, I think it could be advantageous to have them be required. I still am of the opinion that a course in Linear Response Theory and Fourier transforms should be a requirement as mentioned in post 26. I had one additional course from the mathematics department as an undergraduate, besides those mentioned above, and that was Linear Algebra and Matrices. That, IMO, was the least important of all of these courses. A course in Linear Response Theory and Fourier Transforms would have been much more beneficial than the Linear Algebra and Matrices course.

Last edited:
Likes StoneTemplePython
Linear algebra, probability and statistics, Fourier and Laplace transforms, vector calculus, and partial differential equations.

Likes Charles Link
It depends on how your physics courses are organized. There are bits of math needed here and there that can be fit into a physics course. But you need a minimum of ODE, Linear Algebra, some PDE, some tensor analysis. Its possible to take ODE and linear algebra, then a two semester course in physical mathematics involving PDE, vector analysis. complex analysis, tensors, abstract algebra. A separate and serious sequence in experimental methods & data analysis should be required.
In my opinion, to which I give considerable weight, an applied mathematics degree with a year of intense physics work is also feasible. It just depends. There is no single answer, beyond the minimum most people take anyway.

Likes symbolipoint
<h2>1. What is the importance of Mathematics in a Physics degree?</h2><p>Mathematics is an essential tool for understanding and solving problems in physics. It provides the necessary framework and language to describe and analyze physical phenomena. Without a strong foundation in mathematics, it would be difficult to grasp the complex concepts and theories of physics.</p><h2>2. What specific math courses are typically required for a Physics degree?</h2><p>Most Physics degree programs require students to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. Some programs may also require courses in discrete mathematics, complex analysis, and numerical methods.</p><h2>3. Can I substitute other math courses for the required ones?</h2><p>It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if any substitutions are allowed. In some cases, courses from other departments, such as computer science or engineering, may be accepted as equivalents. However, it is important to ensure that the substituted course covers the necessary mathematical concepts for physics.</p><h2>4. How important is it to have a strong background in math before starting a Physics degree?</h2><p>A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success in a Physics degree. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry before starting a Physics program. This will make it easier to grasp the more advanced mathematical concepts used in physics courses.</p><h2>5. Are there any additional math courses that would be beneficial for a Physics degree?</h2><p>Some students may find it helpful to take courses in vector calculus, partial differential equations, or mathematical physics in addition to the required math courses. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles used in physics and can also be beneficial for graduate studies in physics.</p>

1. What is the importance of Mathematics in a Physics degree?

Mathematics is an essential tool for understanding and solving problems in physics. It provides the necessary framework and language to describe and analyze physical phenomena. Without a strong foundation in mathematics, it would be difficult to grasp the complex concepts and theories of physics.

2. What specific math courses are typically required for a Physics degree?

Most Physics degree programs require students to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. Some programs may also require courses in discrete mathematics, complex analysis, and numerical methods.

3. Can I substitute other math courses for the required ones?

It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if any substitutions are allowed. In some cases, courses from other departments, such as computer science or engineering, may be accepted as equivalents. However, it is important to ensure that the substituted course covers the necessary mathematical concepts for physics.

4. How important is it to have a strong background in math before starting a Physics degree?

A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success in a Physics degree. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry before starting a Physics program. This will make it easier to grasp the more advanced mathematical concepts used in physics courses.

5. Are there any additional math courses that would be beneficial for a Physics degree?

Some students may find it helpful to take courses in vector calculus, partial differential equations, or mathematical physics in addition to the required math courses. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles used in physics and can also be beneficial for graduate studies in physics.