1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What simply is Chemical Energy?

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What simply is Chemical Energy?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I found this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_chemical_energy

But it doesn't read right..it's not all to it than that, but I want to know in simple terms what chemical energy is.

I also would like to know how Chemical Energy is used and where it can be found.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

But it is right, and I doubt it can be said simpler. It can be explained in terms of energy of chemical bonds, but it won't be in more "simple terms", besides, basically the answer will be not different.

--
    methods

4. May 15, 2010 #3
    How would you word it?

5. May 15, 2010 #4

Borek

With difficulty. English is my second language.

--

6. May 15, 2010 #5
    Why is it used in F1 Cars?
    Why is it used in Burgers?
    Why is it used in Batteries?

7. May 16, 2010 #6

Borek

What other types of energy do you know and how could you use them in these cases?

Seems to me like you are hoping you will be given all the answers. No way. You have to find them out using your own brain, we can just hint and push you in the right direction.

8. May 16, 2010 #7
    Well does the energy process differ which is what I'm trying to ask depending on what it is being used for.

9. May 16, 2010 #8

Borek

I have no idea what you mean by "energy process".

10. May 16, 2010 #9
    Chemical energy is the amount of potential energy contained in a bond or unstable nuclei (might be stepping out on a limb with the second case). In the former case, the energy is more easily stored for our purposes, while in the latter case, the energy is harnessed as the process cannot be stopped and is usually used to create mechanical work. If you want to be more familiar with what chemical energy is, then you have to understand what a chemical bond is, otherwise the first sentence should suffice your needs.

11. May 16, 2010 #10
    Chemical energy is ubiquitous.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook