What software do you use in your field of study?

In summary: Nothing much to report, myself - I'm retired and my only work is serving as executor of an estate - for which LibreOffice writer and calculator come in handy. In summary, I use LibreOffice writer and calc for general work, and Matlab and comsol for research. I also use Python for some modeling.
I use MATLAB, CREO,ANSYS .But for current project(http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop) hyperloop I need a software good at physics and mechanical analysis ...
any suggestions

Computer science news on Phys.org
Undergrad research assistant doing AMO physics:

-Notepad (an unsung hero!)
-MATLAB
-Microsoft Office (Excel, Powerpoint, occasionally Visio)
-LaTeX (sharelatex.com)
-LTSpice IV
-SolidWorks (CAD design and mechanical drawings)
-AutoCAD (also CAD design and mechanical drawings)
-EAGLE PCB design
-PuTTY (for interfacing with computers, networks, and some peripheral devices)
-Notepad++
-MinGW w64 (C/C++)
-Quartus Prime (programming environment for Altera FPGAs, I use VHDL but supports other languages)
-Arduino IDE
-COMSOL (finite element analysis with a quick, user-friendly interface)

For Multimedia developments. These are some of the important software apps.

3D computer graphics software
Animation software
Graphic art software
Raster graphics editor
Vector graphics editor
Image organizer
Video editing software
Audio editing software
Digital audio workstation
Music sequencer
Scorewriter
HTML editor
Game development tool

LTspice for simulation of VHF PA design and plasma load simulation. I am heavy duty LTspice user.
I use autoCAD for creating simple pcb layouts eg. planar baluns for EM simulation in ADS.
I have used Altium designer for PCB schematic and layout and more recently Eagle PCB.
I use Paint Shop Pro for image editing.
I use Sonar for music sequencing and DAW.

Last edited:
Before I retired, I used Excel to collate experimental data, Mathematica to analyze that data, Excel ( for reference) and Outlook (for publication) to create graphs. I have used MMA for all sorts of modeling projects, some driven purely by curiosity, some in collaboration with students and colleagues. A major pharma co. for which I consulted used MMA for collating clinical trial results and modeling pharmacokinetics with systems of ODEs. At the university at which I worked, Maple was the default modeling software, Math used MMA and possibly other, more specific systems. and the engineering depts. tended to rely on Matlab. The university had site licenses for MMA and Maple. However, the Matlab publisher is very cautious and wouldn't sell an affordable university-wide site license. AFAIK, only the College of Engineering did that.

I am a Windows user for now.

I use Dia for diagrams and Gnuplot for graphs. I am also learning how to use TikZ/PGF for Latex graphics.

For building a C or Fortran program, I use the appropriate compiler installed from MinGW.

I don't use any off the shelf math or physics software right now. I am developing my own "expert system" tool in Lisp to help me with math and physics. I use Clisp.

I have used SQLite for databases with some Perl scripts for the interface.

For text editing I use the Notetab editor. I paid for the Std/Pro versions.

I use the MiKTex distribution of Latex to prepare PDF documents.

I use Gimp for 2D graphics. For 3D models I use Blender. I wrote some simple Python scripts for Blender. That has been my only use of Python. It is amazing how a non-artist like me can develop a 3D model using just Blender with perhaps a few other tools. If you want a human model, you can start with Makehuman. For trees and other foliage there is Ngplant. Etc.

I use the Opera web browser. It has been my favorite browser for years.

I use CamStudio and Moviemaker for video production. I use VLC for playback and format conversion and I've also found Handbrake useful.

For audio processing I still use an old version of Cool Edit for simple stuff. For more complex jobs I use Audacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Data Scientist:

Languages(Ordered from daily use to occasional use):
R
Python
Scala
Spark
Pig
HQL/SQL
Java
C
C++
Julia
Clojure
javascript

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is a little old, but I just found it.
Goldwave is an audio processing/analysis software. When I was taking a Signal Processing class in 1995, my professor used it to show demonstrations to the class. I am sure there are a lot of programs which do this, now. I did a search, and it looks like the software is still being developed and marketed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, it seems like I'm an oddball here.

GROMACS - It is a molecular dynamics software suite modeling the physical motions of atoms and molecules. It is optimized for biomolecules in liquids.
SIESTA - It is an ab initio molecular dynamics software. It is optimized for crystal systems.

Likes gerardofingurbe
Industrial electronics tech (retired)

Office suites: LibreOffice (preferred, for most tasks). MS Office.
Browser: Firefox
ASCII editors: Notepad, Notepad ++ (and a nod to QEdit, and TSE by Semware, and LIST by Vern Berg from back in the DOS days).
Image viewer/editor: Irfanview (my editing needs were rudimentary).
Plotting: DPLOT by Hydesoft Computing
CAD: CADKey

Stephen Tashi said:
Electrical engineers use programs to set up "programmable logic devices". Are there lots of programs of this type?
Not only for PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers), and PLRs (Programmable Logic Relays), but also HMI displays, and specialized sub-systems such as servo motion controllers. It is a chore to keep track of them all (rough count; 25+), many have software protection schemes, and several have a nasty habit of not playing well with others (as in, "I own all the serial ports, and nobody else can use them") even after their editors have been unloaded.

Add to this specialized software required to access test equipment (digital oscilloscopes, high end DMMs, power quality meters, megohmmeters, data loggers, EPROM burners, and the like), and niche software (V belt sizing, centrifugal blower sizing, servo drive/motor sizing, etc.).