What songs would you like played at your funeral?

• Thread starter Arctic Fox
  • Start date
In summary, In my grandmother's final days, she was very happy to see us marry and she wanted to be there in person.
Arctic Fox
Originally asked by Tsu in another thread:

"What song(s) would you like played at your funeral?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I plan on living forever. But if my plans fall through, Chopin's "Chanson de l'adieu" Etude in E major, op. 10-3. Or maybe Funkytown.

mr roboto!

Sigur Ros - Staralfur. It's going to be mint, it's a pity I won't be around to witness it.

Tom Waits - "Tango Til They're Sore"
Seven Ascended Masters - "I'm Breaking Down (All Over Town)"

I know-- "Shiny Happy People." :tongue2:

If we ever give out an award for most morbid thread of the year, is there any question which will win?

Pavane for a dead princess by Ravel..

"Living In A Box" by Living In A Box... kinda appropriate. Kinda sh*te too, but I wouldn't be there to hear it?

hypnagogue said:
If we ever give out an award for most morbid thread of the year, is there any question which will win?

*franticly waving hand*

Oooh, ooh... this one, this one! I like morbid! :devil:

I went to a funeral once and this person, before he passed away, specifically requested Donna Summer's "Last Dance" to be played. All of us who knew him thought it was very appropriate.

Zz.

"Long Shot Kick de Bucket" --The Specials

I'm not having a funeral. But if I did, the only appropriate song would be 'Highway to Hell'.

Danger said:
I'm not having a funeral. But if I did, the only appropriate song would be 'Highway to Hell'.
:rofl: :rofl: I'm sure if you go to hell,everyone prefer hell to heaven!(Who said hell is bad?at least we can meet all people whom we've met here in PF)

Lisa! said:
at least we can meet all people whom we've met here in PF)
I don't believe in either, of course, being an atheist. If there was a hell, the only problem that I can see with going there is that I'd still be surrounded by lawyers and politicians.

Danger said:
I don't believe in either, of course, being an atheist. If there was a hell, the only problem that I can see with going there is that I'd still be surrounded by lawyers and politicians.
Don't worry about that.I'm sure they can find a way not to go there!

maybe bach's fugue in f major, bwv540
http://www.johann-sebastian-bach.org/bwv540/fugue-bwv540.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger :rofl:

Being the gangster that I am, I would choose "Life goes on" - 2pac

You could program the whole evening with 2Pac. "I Wonder if Heaven's Got a Ghetto" and "How Long Will They Mourn Me?" come to mind.

I'd kind of like "Gollum's Song" by Emiliana Torrini, but maybe film music, especially a song devoted to a mythical deformed creature, isn't the best choice. Maybe Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' cover of Bob Dylan's "Death is Not The End" would do.

"Live and Let Die" - Paul McCartney

I'd like whatever is No1 in the charts on my 135th birthday... :smile:

"Knocking on Heavens Door" The Gun's N Roses Version and "Get of my cloud" by the Rolling Stones. But "agadoo" might lighten the mood a little bit.

Not important what will happen after my death.but I prefer a nice part of music which won't cause people feel like crying.I hate attending a funeral.it seems that everone is supposed to be sad and well after seeing lots of sad faces you feel sad :cry:

"Everybody wants to go to heaven... but nobody wants to die" by Larry Howard

Make 'em think a little as I'm hanging out with a smirk on my face.
Cheers!

my mum used to discuss this with us kids... we said we'd play "ding dong the witch is dead" from the wizard of oz at her funeral... she said thatd be pretty funny... it would...

for me... i dunno, its way to soon to be thinking about that... i don't plan on a funeral anytime soon. but, i guess if i was to prematurely die... i'd say... i want a live polka band... or bluegrass... i think that'd be funny...

Always thought "At Your Funeral" by Saves the Day would be quite good mainly cause of the title. The song itself is good but some of the lyrics are a bit strange.

Strawberry Fields, Beatles

Our wedding [my wife Tsu and I] had a bitter-sweet aspect that I will always cherish in a very special way.

My grandmother was dying from cancer. I was her first grandchild, the first to wed, and she wanted very much to see us marry. We even changed the wedding plans a bit fearing that otherwise she may not be able to attend. But in the end, she made it. And there was no doubt in anyone's mind, including the doctors', that my grandmother stayed alive by sheer force of will so that she could attend our wedding. Since as with Tsu and I, this song was always a favorite of my grandmother's, Sunrise, Sunset, from Fiddler On The Roof was played on a harp as a part of the main ceremony. We all felt the significance...really, even the spirit of the old and the new; Tsu and I just beginning our new life, and my grandmother's life ending. My grandmother died while we were on our honeymoon; three days later.

Ivan Seeking said:
Our wedding [my wife Tsu and I] had a bitter-sweet aspect that I will always cherish in a very special way. My grandmother died while we were on our honeymoon; three days later.
It's amazing what the will to persist can do in situations like that. My longest-surviving grandparent was my mother's mother, who died about 6 months before I was born. Since that was in '56, she would have been somewhere in her late 80's or early 90's then. I don't think that she even knew about my mother being pregnant.
I never mourn the loss of someone; I celebrate having had him/her in my life. When my ex-brother-in-law died a few years back, my nephew (who is a couple of months older than me and much like a brother) and his daughter, and I, and my sister and my niece's family and all spent the night at the cabin out in the forest that he had lived in. I personally killed a flat (24 cans) of beer, and helped my nephew dehydrate a sixty-pounder of scotch, and we both aided in the demolition of half a case of rye... and the music involved was he and I and my niece's boyfriend belting out 'The Sinking of the Bismark' since my b-i-l had been a WWII vet and that was a mutually favourite song. It was a 2-day wake, and we all know that it's what he would have wanted.

stairway to heaven-led zeppelin
or
spirit in the sky-norman greenbaum

Iron Maiden: Stranger in a Strange Land
Enigma: Endless Quest
Tool: Eulogy
Mercyful Fate: Melissa (instrumental)
Theme to: Cast Away

I'm thinking I'd want a medley of songs.

Time Has Come Today (Joan Jett)
Highway to Hell (AC/DC)
The Devil's Been Busy (Traveling Wilburys)
See You On The Other Side (Ozzy Osbourne)

And just when everyone's all flipping out over that selection, finish it off with:
Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper) :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
I'm thinking I'd want a medley of songs.

Time Has Come Today (Joan Jett)
Highway to Hell (AC/DC)
The Devil's Been Busy (Traveling Wilburys)
See You On The Other Side (Ozzy Osbourne)

And just when everyone's all flipping out over that selection, finish it off with:
Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper) :tongue2:
nothing else? :wink:

Lisa! said:
nothing else? :wink:

Oh, right, I forgot one:
Get The Party Started (Pink)
"I'm comin' up, so you better get this party started!" :biggrin:
:rofl:

what songs would you like played at your funeral?

I think I'll have styx involved...(not the band)

hmmm...