1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What sort of maths should I focus on if I want to do postgraduate work in string theo

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    I admit I don't know anything about string theory (nobody really does at an undergraduate level) but it sounds interesting and seems like something challenging. I am majoring in physics and maths but I am getting to the point in my undergraduate studies where I can begin to specialize more in my maths subjects. So my question is, what area of maths is the most beneficial to peruse this, analysis, algebra or something else? I hear topology is fairly important but that begs the same question, differential or algebraic?

On a related note, would I be better to have an official qualification in "mathematical physics" or "theoretical physic"?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook