What sort of photon is this?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon Sort
In summary, a photon of frequency \nu collides elastically with an electron at rest, losing half its energy in the process and changing its path by 60 degrees. It can be determined that the frequency of the photon is 4.04 * 10^21 Hz, making it a gamma ray. The calculation process is discussed in more detail in the linked thread.
stunner5000pt
A photon of frequency [tex] \nu [/tex] collides elastically with an electron at rest. The phton loses half its nergy in the collision an its final path makes a 60 degree angle with the original path. What is [tex] \nu [/tex] ? what sort of photon is this?

Well this is obviously the compton effect

[tex] \lambda_{1} - \lambda = \frac{h}{mc} (1 - Cos \phi ) = 1.21 * 10^12[/tex]

Then Also the photon lost half it's energy so

[tex] \frac{h \nu}{2} = \frac{h \nu '}{2} [/tex]
and figure that [tex] 2 \lambda = \lambda ' [/tex]

and then lambda = 1.21 * 10^12?

then [tex] \nu = 4.04 * 10^21 Hz [/tex]

which is a gamma ray?

am i right in this? i have my doubts about the lambdas

Also i have another thread i need some help would greatly appreciate with both! Thank you!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51474

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct...
stunner5000pt said:
and then lambda = 1.21 * 10^12?
...but watch those exponents. I assume you meant to write 1.21E-12.
then [tex] \nu = 4.04 * 10^21 Hz [/tex]
redo that calculation.

which is a gamma ray?
Yep.

Yes, you are correct in your calculations. This would be a gamma ray photon, with a frequency of 4.04 * 10^21 Hz. The Compton effect is the scattering of a photon off an electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and energy. In this case, the photon has lost half its energy and its wavelength has increased. This is consistent with the behavior of gamma rays.

As for your other thread, I will take a look and see if I can offer any assistance. It's always a good idea to seek help and clarification when needed. Keep up the good work!

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

What are the properties of a photon?

Photons have properties such as wavelength, frequency, energy, and momentum. They also have a spin of 1, which means they can have either right or left-handed circular polarization.

How is a photon created?

Photons are created through a process called electromagnetic radiation, where an electron in an excited state releases energy in the form of a photon.

What determines the type of photon?

The type of photon is determined by its wavelength and frequency. Photons with longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and lower energies, while photons with shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and higher energies.

Can photons be destroyed?

No, photons cannot be destroyed. They can only be absorbed or scattered by matter. However, their energy can be transformed into other forms, such as heat or electrical energy.