Audio/Video What speaker do I need?

• Thread starter Jigga
  • Start date
<Moderator note: Moved from General Physics.>

Hi there

I have an audio generator (pic attached) with an internal speaker which is very low volume. I have a microphone and CRO and I would like to view the sound waves. The output on the audio generator says 600 ohms. Are these output terminals suitable for driving an external speaker and if so would the speaker need an amplifier? Could I directly connect the CRO channel input to the output terminals of the audio generator?

Many thanks

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It depends upon what you actually want to 'view'. The sound waves from a cheap and cheerful loudspeaker will not be the same as the voltage waveform on the output terminals. To do the job as well as possible, you would need to use a good microphone, placed not too near the unit and (possibly,) use an amplifier to feed the 'scope'. But it is likely that you are more interested in the actual voltage waveform so the 'scope will do what you want and you can just use the loudspeaker as a rough monitor of what the oscillator is producing.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Could I directly connect the CRO channel input to the output terminals of the audio generator?
It depends upon what you actually want to 'view'. The sound waves from a cheap and cheerful loudspeaker will not be the same as the voltage waveform on the output terminals. To do the job as well as possible, you would need to use a good microphone, placed not too near the unit and (possibly,) use an amplifier to feed the 'scope'. But it is likely that you are more interested in the actual voltage waveform so the 'scope will do what you want and you can just use the loudspeaker as a rough monitor of what the oscillator is producing.

yup, you sure can .... great advice from @sophiecentaur for you to follow

Dave