How Can I Position Myself for a Job as an Engineer in Cutting Edge Technology?

• Thread starter Kahnc360
  • Start date
In summary, an in engineer at a company working on cutting edge technology would likely have a degree in engineering physics. They would be responsible for a variety of tasks including instrumentation, design, and development.
Kahnc360
I'm 100% sure I want to be an engineer, even though I haven't decided which discipline I want to go in, I've narrowed them down. My question is though, how do I position myself for a job as an engineer who works on cutting edge tech? I want to work in industry no question, not interested in academic. I want to work for a company, possibly start my own. The thing is, I love technology, I want to have a hand in creating future tech that's going to possibly change peoples lives. I'm not sure exactly what'd you call an engineer who works on cutting edge tech. An R&D Engineer? Design Engineer? I don't know, but what I'm asking is how do I best position myself to get a job as an in engineer in industry working on creating new technology?

Keep in mind I'm only a junior in high school, but I've been looking at careers ever since I was in 8th. To me its not about the money really(I know it will come as an engineer), I'd get most of my joy from seeing what kind of effect a product I took part in the creation of has on peoples lives. I've been through the "I want to be a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist cause they make six figures" phase, I want to be an engineer. The disciplines I've narrowed down to are: Electrical, Aerospace, Mechanical. I know there are dozens of post like these, but any insight you have would be helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever thought about a degree in Engineering Physics?? It can be a combination of Electrical Engineering with a Physics degree... Most versatile degree I can think of...

Engineering physics? No I haven't, I was just thinking of pursuing a the normal engineering degree in one discipline, I'll check it out though.

Maybe you should think about applying to a common first year. So then you'll have an opportunity to discover what your strengths/weakness are and where your interests lie before making the decision on which discipline you want to take.

If you're from Canada, U of T offers a great engineering physics program that offers a specialization in aerospace. However, admission into the program is really high (90%+) and it's considered one of the most difficult programs in Canada (harder than straight engineering).

If you're thinking of starting a company, be aware that business concerns can consume much of your time and reduce your opportunities to do engineering work. If you want to be fully immersed in engineering, you might want to work for a company that has a business team to line up orders, solicit proposals for product development, purchase supplies, take care of the physical plant and the personnel issues so that you will be free to create and innovate.

While academia might not sound great to you, I know a Mongolian student at the University of Arizona, and as a talented freshman, he is already taking part in instrumentation projects that you would probably really enjoy. U of A is associated with major observatories, and they have a very advanced mirror-making facility on-site, as well as instrumentation teams to build things like interferometers for the MMT - pretty neat stuff.

Boeing phantom works is a perfect example of the kind of work I want to do
Of course I don't really know if I want to do, but at this point nothing else really interest me.

Look into the private space industry.

Of course, by the time you graduate from college, things might be vastly different from how they are now...

Yea, the only thing constant is change, that's for sure. Thing is I don't necessarily want to be restricted to the space industry, I was just using phantom works as an example. But indeed if someone like boeing were to hire me, I'd be just fine with that.

If you want to work for a big company like Boeing, apply for internships about 12 months in advance, seriously, and as soon as you possibly can. Right around the start of your senior year in high school, they should probably have internship openings for the summer following your graduation. They can take months (4-6 months seems to be usual) to send you a phone call. There should be jobs available to you, even with only a HS diploma, as long as your intent is to major in engineering in college.

Chances are the smaller company you work for, however, the larger the responsibility and the more valuable the experience, in general. But I've heard lots of good things about internships with Boeing.

What steps should I take to conduct a scientific experiment?

1. Identify your research question or hypothesis: The first step is to clearly define what you want to investigate in your experiment.

2. Design your experiment: Plan how you will collect data and manipulate variables to answer your research question.

3. Gather materials and equipment: Make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials before starting your experiment.

4. Conduct the experiment: Follow your planned procedure and collect data accurately.

5. Analyze and interpret results: Use appropriate statistical methods to analyze your data and draw conclusions.

What steps should I take to write a scientific research paper?

1. Choose a topic: Select a research question or area of study that interests you.

2. Conduct literature review: Read and analyze previous studies related to your topic.

3. Formulate a hypothesis: Based on your literature review, develop a testable hypothesis.

4. Design your study: Determine the methods and procedures you will use to collect data.

5. Collect and analyze data: Follow your planned procedure and use appropriate statistical methods to analyze your data.

6. Write the paper: Organize your findings and write a clear and concise paper following the standard format for scientific research papers.

What steps should I take to ensure ethical conduct in my scientific research?

1. Understand ethical principles: Familiarize yourself with ethical principles and guidelines for conducting research, such as informed consent, confidentiality, and avoiding conflicts of interest.

2. Obtain necessary approvals: Depending on your research, you may need to obtain approval from an institutional review board or other regulatory body.

3. Obtain informed consent: Make sure all participants understand the purpose and procedures of the study and provide their voluntary consent.

4. Protect participant confidentiality: Take necessary precautions to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your participants.

5. Monitor and report any ethical concerns: Continuously monitor your research for any potential ethical concerns and report them appropriately.

What steps should I take to communicate my scientific findings?

1. Know your audience: Understand who you are communicating your findings to and tailor your presentation or paper accordingly.

2. Organize your findings: Clearly organize your findings in a logical and easy-to-follow manner.

3. Use visual aids: Use graphs, charts, and other visual aids to help illustrate your findings.

4. Be concise and clear: Avoid using technical jargon and strive to make your findings easy for non-experts to understand.

5. Support your claims: Use data and evidence to support your claims and conclusions.