Is \mathcal S Equipped with a Convex Structure?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, Frederik says that if the set of functions \{P^a:\mathcal S\rightarrow \mathcal L|\,a\in \mathcal L\} has the property that for all s_1,s_2\in\mathcal S, s_1=s_2\ \Leftrightarrow\ \forall a\in \mathcal L~~ P^a(s_1)=P^a(s_2) then \mathcal S is a convex subset of \mathcal L^\mathcal L, and furthermore, if \mathcal L has an order/topology/... then \mathcal S also has it. He also says that
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suppose that the set of functions [itex]\{P^a:\mathcal S\rightarrow \mathcal L|\,a\in \mathcal L\}[/itex] has the property that for all [itex]s_1,s_2\in\mathcal S[/itex], [tex]s_1=s_2\ \Leftrightarrow\ \forall a\in \mathcal L~~ P^a(s_1)=P^a(s_2).[/tex] Suppose also that the following is true for each positive integer n:

Given [itex]s_1,\dots,s_n\in\mathcal S[/itex] and [itex]c_1,\dots,c_n\in[0,1][/itex] such that [itex]c_1+\cdots+c_n=1[/itex], there exists [itex]s_0\in\mathcal S[/itex] such that for all [itex]a\in\mathcal L[/itex], [tex]P^a(s_0)=\sum_{k=1}^n c_k P^a(s_k).[/tex] My problem is that I would like to think of [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] as some sort of structure rather than just a set (because I would like to know what an "automorphism" of [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] would be). So I'm wondering if the information given above (the existence and properties of the [itex]P^a[/itex] functions) is enough to implicitly define some sort of structure on [itex]\mathcal S[/itex]?

I would like to use the notation [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n c_k s_k[/itex] for [itex]s_0[/itex], and really think of this as a convex combination of the [itex]s_k[/itex]. Is there perhaps an abstract definition of "convex set" that doesn't even refer to a vector space? Maybe it's called something different, like "convex structure" or "convex space"? If there is such a definition, I think I would just like to show that the functions I've mentioned ensure that [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] is the underlying set of such a structure.

Maybe I should be trying to map [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] bijectively onto a convex subset of some vector space, and take the automorphisms to be vector space automorphisms restricted to that convex subset? Hm, that actually sounds good, but how do I do that, and how do I justify thinking of restrictions of vector space automorphisms as automorphisms of [itex]\mathcal S[/itex]?

It appears that the books I'm reading (which are doing almost the same thing that I'm trying to do, but with a slightly different goal) don't really try to address this issue at this stage, and wait until they've made several additional assumptions which finally allows them to identify the members of [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] with probability measures on [itex]\mathcal L[/itex] (which by then has been equipped with a partial order and found to be a bounded orthocomplemented lattice). Maybe I'll have to do something like that too. I'm just wondering if something can be said at this early stage.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Frederik! :smile:

Let's see if I can say something meaningful here.

Something I would immediately do is construct the function

[tex]\mathcal{S}\rightarrow \prod_{a\in \mathcal{L}}{\mathcal{L}}=\mathcal{L}^\mathcal{L}:s\rightarrow (P^a(s))_a[/tex]

This function is an injection by the property you mention. As such, [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] inherits structure from [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] in a natural way.

For example, we can define [itex]c_1s_1+...+c_ns_n[/itex] as

[tex](c_1P^a(s_1)+...+c_nP^a(s_n))_a[/tex]

this is not necessarily an element of [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex], but an element of the larger set [itex]\mathcal{L}^\mathcal{L}[/itex]. The property you mention is that [itex]c_1s_1+...+c_ns_n[/itex] is an element of [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] if [itex]c_1+...+c_n=1[/itex].

So you could say that [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] is a convex subset of the vector space [itex]\mathcal{L}^\mathcal{L}[/itex].

Furthermore, if [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] has an order/topology/... then [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] also has it by the same trick.

The thing about probability measures is an interesting one. I suppose you could form some kind of "product"

[tex]<.,.>:\mathcal{L}\times\mathcal{S}\rightarrow \mathcal{L}:(a,s)\rightarrow P^a(s)[/tex]

which tend to remind me of some situations in functional analysis. But I'm not sure if this gives us something interesting...

Hi micromass. Thank you for your help. I was a bit confused at first when you wanted to bring the set [itex]\mathcal L^\mathcal L[/itex] into the mix, but I see now that the reason is that I messed up the very first line in my post. When I said [itex]\{P^a:\mathcal S\rightarrow \mathcal L|\,a\in \mathcal L\}[/itex], I really meant [itex]\{P^a:\mathcal S\rightarrow[0,1]|\,a\in \mathcal L\}[/itex].

So let's denote the map [itex]s\mapsto P^a(s)[/itex] by [itex]P_s:\mathcal L\rightarrow[0,1][/itex]. (So that [itex]P^a(s)=P_s(a)[/itex]). Now [itex]s\mapsto P_s[/itex] is an injective function from [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] into the vector space (or algebra) [itex][0,1]^\mathcal L[/itex]. (Yes, I actually like the mapsto arrow :smile:). The [itex]P_s[/itex] functions already have some of the properties of a probability measure on a lattice: I haven't mentioned that there's a partial order on [itex]\mathcal L[/itex], that [itex]\mathcal L[/itex] has a minimum and a maximum element, denoted by 0 and 1 respectively, and that [itex]P_s(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]P_s(1)=1[/itex].

The idea [itex]s\mapsto P_s[/itex] is so simple that I feel that someone should slap me with a fish. I should have seen it. Well, at least I'm past it now, and can focus on understanding the additional assumptions that will turn [itex]\mathcal L[/itex] into a lattice. Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of this structure?

The purpose of a structure can vary depending on its specific design and location. Some structures are built for shelter or protection, while others serve as support or storage. Ultimately, the purpose of a structure is to fulfill a specific function or need.

2. What materials were used to construct this structure?

The materials used for a structure can also vary greatly. Some common materials include wood, metal, concrete, and stone. The choice of materials often depends on factors such as cost, durability, and weather resistance.

3. Who designed and built this structure?

The designer and builder of a structure can also vary. It could be a professional architect or engineer, a construction company, or even a team of workers. The design and construction process usually involves a collaboration between multiple individuals or groups.

4. How long did it take to build this structure?

The time it takes to build a structure can also vary depending on its size, complexity, and available resources. Some structures may take only a few weeks to build, while others can take several years. Factors such as weather conditions and unexpected challenges can also impact the construction timeline.

5. How does this structure withstand different forces and stresses?

The strength and stability of a structure are essential for its overall functionality and safety. Engineers use principles of physics and mathematics to design structures that can withstand various forces and stresses, such as wind, gravity, and earthquakes. Factors such as the shape, materials, and structural elements all contribute to a structure's ability to withstand these forces.