What system of measurment is used in US Universities?

In summary, the United States primarily uses the Imperial Measurement System in everyday life, but the Metric System is commonly used in universities, particularly in fields like physics and engineering. However, there is still a lack of widespread adoption of the Metric System in the US due to the population's resistance to learning it.
Astro
Hello.

I know that the United States officially uses the Imperial Measurement System (eg. feet, inches) instead of the Metric System (eg. centimeters, kilometers). What system is most commonly used at universities in the US? Are courses in the US taught primarily in the Imperial System? I'm asking incase I ever decide to study south of the 49th parallel (ie. in the US).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what your studying.

If your studying physics, they use the metric system most of the time.

If your studying engineering, then you probably use both.

I never knew this, this sucks. In my country you hear of feet and inches (from time to time) but in school all you year about is meters. I honestly thought that SI (Systeme Internationale) units were used all over the world by now, after all it should be international.

Standard may be used in common life, but metric is all we ever used when I took AP calc and AP physics this year.

SI is used, the US population is too dumb/lazy to learn the metric system. They started implementing it in the northern states by Canada and the people couldn't understand it so they stopped trying.

1. What is the main system of measurement used in US universities?

The main system of measurement used in US universities is the Imperial System, also known as the US Customary System. This system is based on units such as inches, feet, and pounds.

2. How does the Imperial System differ from the metric system?

The Imperial System differs from the metric system in terms of the units used. While the Imperial System uses units such as inches, feet, and pounds, the metric system uses units such as centimeters, meters, and kilograms. The metric system is also based on the decimal system, making conversions between units easier.

3. Why does the US still use the Imperial System?

The US continues to use the Imperial System due to historical reasons and a lack of motivation to switch to the metric system. Despite efforts to adopt the metric system in the 1970s, the Imperial System remains the predominant system of measurement in the US.

4. Are there any subjects in US universities that use the metric system?

Yes, there are certain subjects in US universities, particularly in the fields of science and engineering, that use the metric system. This is because the metric system is the international standard for scientific measurements and is used in research and communication with other countries.

5. Are there any efforts to switch to the metric system in US universities?

Yes, there have been ongoing efforts to switch to the metric system in US universities. Some universities have already adopted the metric system in certain courses, and there have been discussions about fully transitioning to the metric system in the future. However, this change would require significant resources and a cultural shift in the US.