Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the Admiral Knew: Hillenkoetter

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1
    Unknown objects are operating under intelligent contro....It is imperative that we learn where UFOs come from and what their purpose is. (Bruce Maccabee,"What the Admiral Knew:UFO, MJ-12 and R.Hillenkoetter, International UFO Reporter,Nov/Dec 1986

Does anyone know what kinda guy 'Hilly' was?
    3rd DI -first of the CIA--good buddy of Keyhoe
    attended Annopolis together---the Major gets
    him on NICAP's board--

never been able to find a biography?--gotta be something?
    (yes i know the 'stories'.....did you hear the ones about project
    "BlueBird"--first 'mind-control' studies--that was him 'by-passing'
    proceedures normal ----became project "Artichoke" (not makin this up
    in case anyone 'wonders'-----?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This guy is like a ghost. I had never tried to find much about Hillenkoetter before, and being a notable figure I expected to find quite a bit about him, but this is riculous. I can find almost nothing. I checked the websites and archives at the CIA, DOD, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, the Navy Department, the History of the Navy web site, nearly every major online encyclopedia, a general *.mil seach engine good for most anything military, and this is all that I could find. A wealth of information can be found about Hillenkoetter at places like the Truman Library and government document sites, but these all involve official military documents authored by him or that involve him from the 40s, 50s; including from his close and frequent contact with Truman, but a general explanation of his many contributions as a leader in the military and intelligence community of the US is otherwise lacking. I must say, I have had better luck finding information about much less notable figures. This is a little interesting...

What follows is pretty much all that I could find…with some duplication through other links that take you back to where you started. First, here is the total of all information that I found in about a dozen encyclopedias.

Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter was the third director of the Central Intelligence Agency of the United States.
    This is a stub.

and another example:

Article last updated: 5:35pm, August 29, 2003
    Database last updated: 3:20pm, January 09, 2004
    Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter was the third director of the Central Intelligence Agency of the United States.

This is a stub.

Next, his portrait; compliments of the CIA:

This was about the only unofficial [not political or military] information I could find about him at the CIA:

TENURE AS DIRECTOR 1 May 1947–7 October 1950
    BIRTH 8 May 1897, St. Louis, Missouri
    EDUCATION Graduated from US Naval Academy, 1919 (Class of 1920)
    APPOINTED 30 April 1947 by President Harry S. Truman; sworn in, 1 May 1947
    Recess appointment by President Truman, 29 August 1947; sworn in, 26 September 1947; reappointed under new National Security Act* by President Truman, 24 November 1947; confirmed by Senate, 8 December 1947
    DEPUTY DIRECTOR Brig. Gen. Edwin Kennedy Wright until 9 March 1949**
    EARLIER CAREER Several tours as Assistant Naval Attache, France: 1933-35, 1938-40, 1940-41 (Vichy regime), and 1946-47
    Officer in Charge of Intelligence, on the staff of Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Area (Adm. Chester W. Nimitz), September 1942–March 1943
    Promoted to Rear Admiral, 29 November 1946
    LATER CAREER Commander, Cruiser Division 1, Cruiser-Destroyer Force, Pacific Fleet, October 1950–August 1951
    Promoted to Vice Admiral, 9 April 1956
    Inspector General of the Navy, 1 August 1956
    Retired from Navy, 1 May 1957
    Private business
    Died 18 June 1982

* The National Security Act of 26 July 1947 established the Central IntelligenceAgency, which replaced the Central Intelligence Group on 18 September 1947.
    **There was no Deputy Director from 10 March 1949 to 7 October 1950.

I did manage to find one unofficial references at the Navy Department. Here the Navy does mention him about half the way down their page on UFOs. Of course his name comes up many times in the official capacity as Commander of Operations, Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Rear Admiral, but no personal information is found.

4. Jan 27, 2004 #3
    on the marble wall of the CIA building at Langley:
    "Ye shall know the Truth and the Truth shall set you free"

<Is that....you know.....

and then he essentially 'authorizes' the CIA's search for a 'truth drug'.....(btw they found a "stupid bush" described as a "pernious weed").....no photos found.....big guy little guy?....mean guy wierd guy?.....the 1st 'spook' you might say

I did an Amazon search-hard to believe.....
    Was sure i'd find some biography-or 'personal account' as to who ,why, or what, he was.....about 50 references in mostly UFO books.....and the basics just repeated......(you can do a search for Hillenkoetter and you'll be able to read all the 'excerts' (which is cool!--and i received 'suggestion' that i might be interested in the X-Conference! I was intrigued and the rest is history-see post)

he did resign from NICAP-apparently as Keyhoe became more 'critical' of the gov....and intent on getting Congressional Hearings.....H resigned saying NICAP's done all it can and criticism of 'Air Force' is going no where---nothing sited, perhaps from NICAP's board meeting---anyone left from the original 'guys'? --wouldn't help too much cos it turnes out a whole bunch of 'em were 'spooks'!!......can't tell what's truth-is he playin a game ? totally frustrated? too much of a 'patriot'?

number of quotes from him says he's a 'believer' and wants the 'truth' told.

But the story goes he delievers MJ-12 doc to Truman.....what'd he know and when did he know it?.....did he ever tell anyone....?
  5. Jan 27, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter, Former Director of the CIA.
    1960 NICAP press conference
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  6. Jan 27, 2004 #5
    Admiral Roscoe Hillenkoetter,
    Former Director of the CIA.
    1960 NICAP press conference

(Obviously a nut case-the 'Assistant Director'
    had been slippin some extract of
    "stupid bush" plant into his coffee.)
    "through official secrecy and ridicule
    many citizens are led to believe that
    the unknown flying objects are nonsense."
    what could have made him announce such
    insanity to the world!! I'm beginning to see
    a conspiracy of immensity beyond my
    wildest CIA induced hallucinations ......
    The first CIA Director was a 'manchurian
    candidate' programed to infiltrate NICAP
    at the behest of Gen. Samford-Director of NSA
    The Air Force cannot do any more under the
    circumstances. It has been a difficult assignment
    for them, and I believe we should not continue to
    critize their investigations. I am resigning as a
    member of the NICAP board of governors.

from his letter to Keyhoe, Feb. 1962

It's crazy!
    He walks out and we never hear from him again?
    a Navy guy defends the Air Force !!
    (or perhaps a genius-always do the unexpected?)
  7. Jan 29, 2004 #6
    "Irene Taeuber, who had the strongest connections in Washington, was asked to produce a list of the most powerful men in the policy making community." 3 names: Hillenkoetter; Dr. Holis Peter, Chief of the Division of International and Functional Intelligence at the State Department: and Paul Hoffman ChiefAdministrator of the EGA (pre USAID). They were all sent free copies of the Rockefeller report--memo of Irene to Roger Evans-Rockerfeller Archives-....footnote 10, pg 197-only mention in book:International Development and the Social Sciences: Essays on the History and Politics of Knowledge
    by Frederick Cooper

i don't know what this means....don't know what year it is...subject is "population"--she was President of the Population Association in 1954-54.....
    and a very long article elaborates on the 'issue'--very curious-- but tangental only :
    Between Quality and Quantity:
    The Population Council and the Politics of "Science-making"
    in Eugenics and Demography, 1952-1965
    by Edmund Ramsden ( Italy-2001)

is there a connection between UFOs and "population control"?
    (oh no....notthe cattle .....

a little scary--as another ft note -Ed Sanders (wrote 'The Family' re Manson), investigated the 'cattle' first hand-interviewed sheriffs,vets, ranchers etc....no conclusion,but said it all seemed to point towards some 'gov'-secret military group-black'copters-training programs..... (for the record-Arizona state's independently funded investigation put it to rest for me--at least for the year covered till now-- Sanders investigated the 'first wave' (possible 'human' culprits-special forces training-72-75) -anyway,no 'ET' here..... c'80 spoke with a girl friend's uncle, in person who was rancher in Colorodo-he knew all about it-and was ready to shoot down 'one of them copters'-gov or not!-and so were his friends.....
  8. Jul 5, 2007 #7
    Help- To Mouseonmoon

I am not always the most astute with bibliographies. Where exactly did the information come from that says Irene Tauber classed Hillenkoetter as one of the 3 most powerful "in the policy making community"? Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?