Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the best way to measure Vacuum flow

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    Afternoon all

I am currently designing a vacuum rig to measure vacuum flow on a pressure vacuum valve.
    Measureing the pressure side of the valve is simple, but trying to get sense out of the figures for the measurement of vacuum is something else.
    I am using an Orifice plate to get my flow figures but they do not tally with the positive side
    of the valve even though the bores of the valves are identical, I was expecting a slight difference but not 30%.
    The rig consists of a large 12" dia pipe which the valves sits on, this pipe has tappings for a transducer and temp probe. Then there is 20 ft of 6" pipe which connects to the orifice plate station. I have a DP cell and pressure transducer at this point also a temp probe. There is then 15ft of 6" pipe that connects to a blower which we have install so it sucks rather than blows. The capacities I am dealing with are from 40 Ncum/hr to 4000 Ncum/hr. with pressure settings of 1 mBar to 110 mBar.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cooperman

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted