What the crap did i do to my leg

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the person had a leg cramp that lasted about thirty seconds and then subsided. They are still in pain and are wondering what caused it. They think it was not a tear, but something more serious. They advise going to a doctor if the pain persists beyond three days.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok so i got a little problem here.

One afternoon i woke up from a nap thanks to the phone and in my attempt to turn over onto my stomach to get up and run to the phone, my left leg went absolutely ape****. It cramped up in an insane way and didnt stop for about 30 seconds. I then couldn't really extend my leg without feeling like the pain was coming back. I also felt like some sort of weird gurgling at the calf or something... the big part below the knee behind the leg.

Now, 3 days later I am still in pain and I am wondering what i did. I can sit down for a while... and when i stand up, the first step is just almost bad enough to make me fall down as is the next few steps. After about 30 steps however, the pain gradually decreases to where I am not noticably limping in my steps and after about 50 or 70, the pain is pretty much gone. Does anyone think they know what i did to my leg? Doesnt seem like a tear...

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Ok so i got a little problem here.

One afternoon i woke up from a nap thanks to the phone and in my attempt to turn over onto my stomach to get up and run to the phone, my left leg went absolutely ape****. It cramped up in an insane way and didnt stop for about 30 seconds. I then couldn't really extend my leg without feeling like the pain was coming back. I also felt like some sort of weird gurgling at the calf or something... the big part below the knee behind the leg.

Now, 3 days later I am still in pain and I am wondering what i did. I can sit down for a while... and when i stand up, the first step is just almost bad enough to make me fall down as is the next few steps. After about 30 steps however, the pain gradually decreases to where I am not noticably limping in my steps and after about 50 or 70, the pain is pretty much gone. Does anyone think they know what i did to my leg? Doesnt seem like a tear...

Go see a doctor ASAP, i don't like the sound of, weired gurgling, could be
SERIOUS.

yep, you've hit my 3 day rule. After 3 days see a doctor. Odds are the cramp was so strong that it strained the muscle, have it looked at.

I have to agree with the others here that if it's still that bad after 3 days, it's time to have a doctor check it out, especially if there's "weird gurgling." Of course you wait until the weekend to decide it's bad enough to worry about. :rolleyes: Do you have any urgent care clinics near you that can handle things like leg injuries but won't require the same wait as at an emergency room? It's not something you should really wait until Monday to have looked at in case you've injured something you could make worse by walking on it, but isn't exactly such an emergency that you need to be going to an emergency room and waiting while all the people who've toasted themselves with fireworks and bbq's get put ahead of you (I don't know about where you are, but here, I definitely hear fireworks going off at night, so know some folks have started celebrating way too early for 4th of July). Oh, and yeah, ERs are short-staffed this weekend...the new students and residents start July 1 and are all on their 1-2 week break right now (and of course over July 4th weekend, you've got all the new people working, so while they have plenty of residents around, they have rather few who can work unsupervised, and even more students who are doing their first rotation ever ).

Moonbear said:
I don't know about where you are, but here, I definitely hear fireworks going off at night, so know some folks have started celebrating way too early for 4th of July.

Or 5th November...

If you really mean 'gurgling', it could indicate internal bleeding or even an embolism of some kind. Either one can cost you your leg, or even kill you, if untreated.

I am not aware of anything in the leg that would cause a 'gurgling' sound, at least not in a normal leg. It sounds like a circulatory issue, and as Danger said, an embolis or thrombosis is very serious. If one of those gets to your heart or lungs, you're in serious trouble.

Go to a doctor and get it checked it out!

Astronuc said:
I am not aware of anything in the leg that would cause a 'gurgling' sound, at least not in a normal leg. It sounds like a circulatory issue, and as Danger said, an embolis or thrombosis is very serious. If one of those gets to your heart or lungs, you're in serious trouble.

Go to a doctor and get it checked it out!

I've known people who have wound up with thrombosis in the leg and even that doesn't lead to a gurgling sound that I know of. The leg gets swollen (though the extent depends on how much circulation is disrupted) and it really hurts a lot, CONSTANTLY, not just when standing up (you shouldn't be able to "walk it off"). If that's what's going on, that means a trip to the ER, pronto, because it can be life threatening if a clot breaks loose.

I was thinking the gurgling was more of a sensation as he was describing it. But, whatever it is, it sounds bizarre and really should get checked out.

Well the pain today was about half as bad as it was normaly. Nothing to cause me to even come close to falling but I'm going to get it checked out anyhow.

Thanks for all the suggestions that i might die, it was exactly what i was looking for lol. Mind you, the gurgling was just when the leg cramped up horribly that very first day and it was only for a few seconds but I am going to get it checked out anyhow

Most people with this condition that I know of had to be put down.

I once tore ligaments in both of my knees at once. Didn't experience/hear any gurgling though. Also I have dislocated my shoulders a few times. For some days there was a clicking as the tendon slid out of and back into the notch in the bone, but no gurgling. Are you sure you didn't lose control over your bowels and think it was coming from your leg? Maybe tearing a muscle could cause gurgling. Maybe you popped a cyst in your leg.

gurgling at the calf
Well the OP didn't mention gurgling "sound", but that's what I assumed. A gurgling sound would be serious, IMO. However, if gurgling meant a sensation comparable to what one feels when one's stomach or intestines gurgle, then perphaps it is a fatigued muscle firing sporadically, i.e. twinge or tingling. If I over-exert, that happens in my triceps or calf, and occassionally quadriceps or ham-string.

But the severe pain and problems walking seems pretty serious.

One thing to keep in mind is electrolyte balance, especially during hot weather. The body needs a balance of sodium and potassium. Bananas and raisins are good sources of potassium, and when perspiring profusely due to exertion, drink sport's drinks like Gatorade. Avoid energy drinks with diuretics like caffeine.

Also, taking an occasional aspirin is good as a blood thinner. However, if one has a problem with thrombosis, aspirin is not advisable without consultation of a doctor.

Pengwuino said:
I once got bitten by a dog in my leg; he didn't break my skin, but it took about two months until the pain in my calf went away. I had the same sympoms, standing up after having sat down would be very painful, but the pain would go away once I had stretched my leg for a while by walking. Let a doctor look at it, I think warm compresses will aid the healing process, but first get a proper diagnosis.

Monique said:
I once got bitten by a dog in my leg
What was a dog doing in your leg in the first place?! It's no wonder he bit you if he needed to go outside.

I also forgot to mention that I've had bersidus in both legs since i was born (thats not how you spell it lol). Its something that happens to affect the part that's right where i heard (i think i only heard something... not felt it...) the sound. Its something about calcium building up quicker then normal in a gland right below my knee. They said it was just something id have to live with all my life and that the treatment was a waste of time because it was like a monthly or weekly surgical draining that only helped for a while. The only time problems really come up is when i try to run for long distances. at about 1/2 a mile, my leg starts going numb so long distance running has always been out of the question for me since i was a kid :D Take that pe teachers!

Anyhow, there was barely any pain when i just woke up today! I hope i can see a doctor tomorrow because my birthday is tuesday and i don't want to spend it getting x-rays. Wait, how do they look at muscle anyhow?

Danger said:
What was a dog doing in your leg in the first place?!
Oh well, it was a 'lovely' Bouvier we once had. Any time I'd turn my back on him, he'd attack me from behind. Quite literally. I couldn't converse with my mom, since he'd start a staring contest and bite me in the arm if I'd make a gesture. I had to walk up the stairs backward, to prevent him jumping at me and so that I could take a leap if I saw him coming.

The strange thing was that when I was alone in the room with him, he would be very submissive, but once my mom was around I had to watch my every move. Finally at two years he was put down, what a relief, I was waiting for the day that he'd completely lose it and bite my arm off.

Monique said:
Oh well, it was a 'lovely' Bouvier we once had. Any time I'd turn my back on him, he'd attack me from behind. Quite literally. I couldn't converse with my mom, since he'd start a staring contest and bite me in the arm if I'd make a gesture. I had to walk up the stairs backward, to prevent him jumping at me and so that I could take a leap if I saw him coming.

The strange thing was that when I was alone in the room with him, he would be very submissive, but once my mom was around I had to watch my every move. Finally at two years he was put down, what a relief, I was waiting for the day that he'd completely lose it and bite my arm off.
I had a similar experience with a friend's Doberman.

The dog (Pearl) and I got to be good friends - we played a lot together and she would sit by me while I studied (and slobber (drool) on my hand or forearm). Another friend (she) came and spent the weekend at the apartment, where I and the dog's owner were living. She and I were in the kitchen and Pearl was between us. She made a motion toward me and Pearl went nuts - as though she was going to attack. Now Pearl had known this woman much longer than me, but we think Pearl was being protective of me. Very strange.

Anyway, Pengwuino, let us know how you make out at the doctor's.

Last edited:

1. What could be the cause of my sudden leg pain?

There are many possible causes of leg pain, including muscle strains, overuse injuries, nerve damage, blood clots, and fractures. It is important to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

2. Can my diet or lifestyle contribute to leg pain?

Yes, certain dietary and lifestyle factors can contribute to leg pain. Poor nutrition, dehydration, and lack of physical activity can all affect the health of your muscles and bones, leading to potential pain or injury.

3. Should I be concerned if I have swelling in my leg along with the pain?

Swelling in the leg can be a sign of a more serious condition, such as a blood clot or infection. It is important to seek medical attention if you have swelling along with leg pain.

4. How can I prevent leg pain in the future?

To prevent leg pain, it is important to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, including regular exercise and proper hydration. It is also important to stretch before and after physical activity, and to avoid overexertion and repetitive movements that can lead to muscle strains.

5. Is it necessary to see a doctor for minor leg pain?

If your leg pain is minor and goes away on its own within a day or two, it may not be necessary to see a doctor. However, if the pain persists or is severe, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.