1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the graph of (-2)^x is

1. Sep 25, 2003 #1
    Can some one tell me what the graph of (-2)^x is i tryed but i only got errors.

Thank in advance for your help

reaver

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2003 #2
    what do you mean by "what is the graph"?

just take some values of x, work out y with a calculator and draw it on some graph paper!

or write a few program lines..

4. Sep 25, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder if Jonnylane tried doing that himself! If you try to graph y= (-2)x by plotting values, you can calculate values for integer values of x but that won't necessarily tell you the true graph. In this case it certainly doesn't!

If you try to use a calculator to calculate values for fractional x, you are going to get more error messages.

In general, the function ax is only defined for positive a. (-2)x is going to be undefined for almost all x!

5. Sep 25, 2003 #4
    Can the function be graphed in the complex plane, or is it truly undefined for nonintegral x values?

6. Sep 25, 2003 #5

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You can obtain values of (-2)^x for any x, but your calculator needs a little help because you obtain complex values:

(-2)^x
    = (2ei[pi])x
    = 2x (ei[pi])x
    = 2x (cos([pi]x) + i sin([pi]x))

Which is a spiral in the complex plane, which touches the real axis for all integer values of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook