Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the heck is it?

1. Jun 6, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, this seems to be on the level so... Please forgive if I end up eating crow on this one.

http://www.news-record.com/news/local/rand/creature_060304.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2004 #2
    Holy crap, weird.

It looks like it was mutated (the fish from the Power Plant in Simpsons).

Very, very odd.

It looks like a large fox, to me. Even a hybrid of a dog-fox? As dumb as it sounds, it looks like a fox with a German Shepard's tail.

The article says it may be an exotic animal outside of North America.

:confused:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  4. Jun 6, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The face resembles a fox, but the legs are too long and the tail is wrong.

5. Jun 6, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a strange looking critter. Could just be a really bizarre mutt of a dog (like if you mixed a chihuahua with a greyhound or something wacky like that). Or a great job with Photoshop ;-) Guess nobody will know until it's captured or someone recognizes the photo and calls in, "Hey, that's my dog!"

6. Jun 6, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tribdog??? Is that you????

7. Jun 8, 2004 #6
    its obviously a jack-o-lope =)

8. Jul 30, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since Dagenais asked about this and in lieu of the animal mystery theme at hand, I thought to recycle this thread. The jpg in the original post still works.

Unfortunately the main story has gone to the archives and now requires a fee. The story orignates in North Carolina.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  9. Mar 22, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the original photo
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4512/creature0603041lq.jpg

A current story
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0321_060321_tyco_fox.html

10. Mar 23, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the update. At least that's a clearer picture they posted now. The ears certainly look fox-like, but without the poofy fur, it's just so hard to tell by looks alone.

11. Mar 23, 2006 #10
    Mama? Is that you?

Attached Files:

12. Mar 23, 2006 #11

Evo

Oh how adorable!!! Who is it hypatia?

13. Mar 23, 2006 #12

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Just by stance and body structure I would have said a fox. I see them regularly on my bike commute to work. I usually get that broadside stance with the prick ears and high head just before they disappear.

14. Mar 23, 2006 #13
    Its my doggy ..Foxy Lady

15. Mar 23, 2006 #14

Evo

She's a cutie!!! :approve:

16. Mar 23, 2006 #15

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Yes, very cute. That's a Pembroke Welsch Corgi is it not? I've always wanted one of those. How would you describe her personality, trainability? Any interaction with young kids?

17. Mar 23, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe someone captured a fox, shaved it, and then released it again.

That could be a terrific prank. Imagine when word of the "amazing new short-haired fox" hits the media!

- Warren

18. Mar 23, 2006 #17

Mk

Oooh, I'm gonna do that.

Too bad Texas made it against the law to graffiti another person's cow. I've been at a loss to know what to do.

19. Mar 24, 2006 #18

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

So you can graffiti your own cows then....?:uhh: :biggrin:

20. Mar 24, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As for strange animals, the first time that I ever saw a nutria was at about three paces. It was standing right there, right in front of me, and I had absolutely no idea what it was. As it turned out it was a very large nutria, which added to the confusion. Later I learned that they were brought to Oregon from the SE US back in the fifties as part of a failed financial fur fling. But I had never even heard of a nutria, much less seen one.

21. Mar 24, 2006 #20
    Doc, your right shes a Corgi. And she is a working dog, and hates to have nothing to do. Luckly, I have 2 cats that she can herd around the house all day while I'm at work. But she does require at least one good walk a day.
    She is good with other animals, and small children. She allows my 6 yr old grandson to do just about anything to her. Neighborhood kids come play with her too.
    Corgies are not brave dogs that will rush into anything. She will inspect...make little gruff sounds..make sure the herd{cats} are safe, and will actually coax them into safty{under the bed}, then come and get me.
    Shes a very sturdy dog, that travels well.

I was walking in the woods a few years back when I saw what I thought was a albino Wolverine. When I told the rangers about it, they told me Wolverines didnt live in Michigan. About 2 years latter, someone cought one about a mile away from where I saw it. Sooooo our state animal does live here..lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?