What the hell is a coulomb

• Thread starter Stripe
  • Start date
Ok not 100% if this is right place but it's not homework so...

What the hell is a coulomb i've looked everywhere and everything seems to be different.

So is it the charge on electrons?

Or is it a packet of electrons? 6 million million million electrons = coulomb?!??

Sorry if this seems dumb :(

Answers and Replies

rcgldr
Homework Helper

Yeah i've checked wiki but it seems to contradict other material i've read... how would you describe it?

The Coulomb is the SI unit of charge. It is just a standard against which we can compare the relative charges of difference objects; just like we might say this object has a mass of 1kg, and this object has a mass of 3kg, we could say one object has 1 coulomb (C) of charge, and another has 10C. It has meaning in the sense that we can compare the relative charges from object to object.

jtbell
Mentor

The official definition of the coulomb is, "the amount of charge carried past a point in a wire by a one-ampere current in one second."

Actually COULOMB was a famous scientist ! (maybe was a justice also he he he as long as one of his invention is known as COULOUMBs LAW . . . kidding!) the unit of charge is entitled with his name !
When you send 1A current though a conductor for 1 second then the amount of flow in any width of it is 1 COULOMB!

and ELECTRIC CURRENT means the FLOW OF ELECTRON!

q = I t
where q = charge
I = Electric Current
t = Time

and always q = n e
where, e = charge of electron
n = any full number

OK mate... the coulomb is a measure of electrons in the same way that a dozen is a measure of eggs.
When anyone refers to coulombs they are talking about a quantity of electrons.

If you buy a dozen eggs you know you are getting 12 eggs.
If you have 1 coulomb of of charges you have approx. 6.25 x 1018 charges.

In terms of electricity a coulomb is the number of electrons.

Ok so i THINK i have it i really appreciate all the replies guys :D i owe you all!