1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What these simbols mean?

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    The double line absolute value is called the norm of a vector. Depending on the field, you might have different definitions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(mathematics)

The second symbol, the brackets, are used to denote the span of two vectors. That is the set of all possible linear combinations of two vectors

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    found it
    i will try to comprehend this stuff

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Caution: <a, b> is also often used to mean the inner product of two vectors. In fact, since you refer to it in connection with ||v||, I would be inclined to suspect that is what is meant: ||v||2= <v, v>.

The inner product on a vector space, V, is a function from [itex]V\times V[/itex] to the underlying field, such that
    1) [itex]<v,v>\ge 0\/itex] and [itex]<v,v>= 0[/itex] if and only if v= 0.
    2) [itex]<au+ bv,w>= a<u,w>+ b<v,w>[/itex].
    3) [itex]<u,v>= \overline{<v,u>}}[/itex].
    (that overline is complex conjugate)

If you are given a basis,[itex]{e_1, e_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \e_n}[/itex] for the vector space, so that two vectors, u and v, can be written [itex]v= a_12_1+ a_2e_2+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_ne_n[/itex] and [itex]u= b_1e_1+ b_2e_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_ne_n[/itex] then the dot product, [itex]u\cdot v= a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nb_n[/itex] is an inner product.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    so if i have vector a=(x,y,z) b=(s,t,d)

||a||=(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^0.5

<a,b>=x*s + y*t + z*d

(<a,a>)^0.5 =||a||

is it correct?

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?