What this question is saying.

• Thread starter vkash
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the maximum value of r(n-r) in a composite function of n times, where some functions are increasing and some are decreasing. The maximum value of r(n-r) is 2 when n=3 and all functions are increasing, or when r=2 and the other functions are increasing.
vkash

Homework Statement

If the composite function f1(f2(f3(...(fn)))) n times, is an increasing function and if r of fi's are decreasing function while rest are increasing, then find the maximum value of r(n-r)?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

How can i attempt if i don't know what is question.

I request you to not put answer!. I want that you just tell me question in easy language. I want to try it before anybody tell me it's answer. If you give example then it will easy to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have n=3 functions. If all of them are increasing, the composite function will be increasing, and you'd have r=0, so r(n-r)=0. You can also get an increasing composite function when r=2, in which case, you'd get r(n-r)=2. The other two cases will result in a decreasing composite function. So when n=3, the maximum value of r(n-r) is 2.

The problem is asking you to do this for the general case. I'll leave it to you to figure out what combinations will result in an increasing composite function.

1. What is the meaning behind this question?

The meaning behind this question is to understand the intent and purpose of the question being asked.

2. Can you clarify what this question is asking?

This question is asking for further explanation or elaboration on the content or context of the question.

3. What information or knowledge is being sought with this question?

The question is seeking specific information or knowledge on a particular topic or subject.

4. How can I interpret this question to find an answer?

The question should be interpreted by breaking it down into smaller parts and analyzing the keywords and context to find a suitable answer.

5. Is there a specific way I should approach answering this question?

It is best to approach answering this question by first understanding the purpose and context of the question, then gathering relevant information and providing a well-supported answer based on evidence and logical reasoning.