Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What time is it?

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    I have an exam tomorrow and im pulling an all nighter, this is fun. All I need is a 61% to get an A, but I had to study for other stuff and so now I am cramming in all these dumb facts about materials. Weeee I hate school.

BTW, it is currently 2:34 am, and im talking to myself.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2
    Think of what the people taking 17 credits are feeling :smile:

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3
    Too bad for them, dont take so many credits then.

5. Dec 16, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

shut-up, log off, and study. :grumpy:

Good luck. :biggrin:

6. Dec 16, 2006 #5
    let's debate this, Ivan. :rofl:

I'm trying to memorize this stuff, but memorization is just STUPID!

BTW: 2:52 AM.

I honestly thought I was done with meorization when I finished all my elective courses. This is pathetic.

7. Dec 16, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, what's pitiful is that you're in university and still can't spell 'memorisation'. As the old guy said, shut up and go to sleep (or study; same difference at this point).

8. Dec 16, 2006 #7
    Sleep is for the weak.

9. Dec 16, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Might I remind you that cats are the most perfect killing machines on the planet (and don't bring up sharks, because their scope is limited), and they spend about 80% of their lives sleeping. :tongue:

10. Dec 16, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that you're still online. Do I need to put you on a 24 hour ban?

11. Dec 16, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I thought that Mitchum was the 24 hour brand.

12. Dec 16, 2006 #11
    5:00 am, and the party is just getting started.

Ban, you can try. I am in the school library, aka 50+ computers all that I can make new bogus login names :devil:

13. Dec 16, 2006 #12
    I have really bad memories about all nighters and tests... I once pulled an all nighter before a 6 hour test... Lets just say that the 5 extra hours of studying didn't help. lol. Good luck on your exam though!

14. Dec 16, 2006 #13
    What time is your test?

15. Dec 16, 2006 #14
    8:00 am

It is now 5:34 am. Right now my heart is pumping Red bull and Sobe. I do not feel tired.

I have the will to get above a 60% right now. I could get a C if I just wrote my name on the exam and turned it in, lol. That would be funny. Id get a B if I answered like two or three problems. Im just planning on getting partial credit everywhere and winding up with hopefully a 68-70%.

16. Dec 16, 2006 #15
    That's not too bad then.

I hate cramming, especially when it is pure memorization. Such as social studies (still in HS).

17. Dec 16, 2006 #16
    The trick to memorizing things is making up patterns. For instance:

[tex] L= \alpha + \beta [/tex]

[tex] \gamma = \alpha + \beta [/tex]

[tex] L+ \gamma = \alpha [/tex]

[tex] \gamma+ \beta = \alpha [/tex]

Now, I could try to memorize all these RxNs, but I'm not going to. I am going to notice that the first two result in the same thing on the RHS, and the last two also have the same thing. Now I notice that the first one is just an L, and all the rest have a gamma in them. If I go down two I put in another L, and for the last one the only piece missing is the beta, so it has to be gamma and beta goes to alpha. I make up tons of these little 'tricks' so that I dont just memorize things.

Try it, it works.

18. Dec 16, 2006 #17

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the past 40 hours, I've had (at most) 3 hours of sleep. What's scaring me is that I don't feel tired at all, even though I had 2 finals about 10 hours ago.

19. Dec 16, 2006 #18
    Yea, I usually try to do that too when trying to memorize stuff. I also find that if you can attach a story or at least an image to something you are trying to memorize it makes it much easier. I have only a couple of weeks til I gotta start studying hard for diploma exams. :frown: Although I doubt I even need to study for physics/math/calculus... it's just the social I am scared of. Seeing as your test is in 1.5 hrs, I will wish you one last good luck before you have to go. Tell me how it went afterwards.

20. Dec 16, 2006 #19
    Morphism. Go to bed! :)

21. Dec 16, 2006 #20
    I still have lots of time, and I'm not even tired. I think after this semester I consumed enough caffeine to keep me awake for the next two months.

I think I know a good 70-80% of the material by now. Enough to get me that 62% I need.

6:34 am, yummy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?