What times would be best for a mathematics club? Meetings?

• Thread starter AlfredPyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the time that Khan offers for math club meetings is 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. on Saturdays, and 2:45 to 5:00 P.M. on Fridays.
AlfredPyo
So the time I have is 9:00 - 2:00 on saturdays. But I don't want to have the lecture day for my mathematics club too long. But I want it long enough so that the whole club can prepare for future mathematics competitions.

So I need enough time for the entire year to teach the whole club: differential equations, discrete mathematics, and some linear algebra.

I am also available on fridays 2:45 - 5:00. How should I organize the times? Should I separate the lecture days for my club into two different days? I really want to let them have enough time to prepare.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could base your starting time and duration on some math constant like 3:14pm or 1:41pm.

you could assign khans video to watch for the next meeting then do some group problems on that topic with a teaser problem and video link for the next meeting.

jedishrfu said:
You could base your starting time and duration on some math constant like 3:14pm or 1:41pm.

Sorry, but I meant 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. on saturdays and 2:45 - 5:00 P.M. on fridays. So back to the topic, which time interval do you think would be the best? Please be reasonable.

weekdays are better especially if people are already around. Midweek works better too ie not Moday or Friday so try Tuesday or Thursday as most well thought out meetings will already be assigned on Wednesday.

Timewise say 1pm ie after lunch or 10am so when you convene at 11am then people can start thinking about lunch.

Okay just reread your post: I'd go with Fridays say 2:45 to 3:45 with extendability to 5pm. Saturday people get busy with other things and won't show up.

Ok, I know that there are saturday people. But there aren't many saturday people in the morning unless you're doing sports. I just need a handful of people that are willing to do math club.

What times would be best for a mathematics club?

The best times for a mathematics club would depend on the schedules and availability of its members. It is recommended to survey the members and find a time that works for the majority. Some common options include after school or work hours, evenings, or weekends.

When should meetings be held?

Meetings should ideally be held at a consistent day and time to avoid confusion and ensure regular attendance. It is also important to consider the availability of the meeting space and any conflicting events or holidays. Again, surveying the members for their preferred meeting time can help determine the best day and time.

How long should meetings be?

The duration of meetings will vary depending on the club's goals and activities. Generally, meetings should be long enough to cover all planned agenda items, but not too long that it becomes tedious or overwhelming for members. A good rule of thumb is to aim for 1-2 hours per meeting.

Should meetings be held in person or online?

This decision will depend on the club's resources and the members' preferences. In-person meetings allow for more direct interaction and hands-on activities, but online meetings can be more convenient for members with busy schedules or those who live far away. A hybrid approach, where both in-person and online options are available, can also be considered.

What should be the format of the meetings?

The format of the meetings can vary depending on the club's goals and activities. Some options include lectures or presentations, group discussions, problem-solving sessions, or guest speaker presentations. It is important to keep the meetings engaging and interactive to maintain the interest and participation of members.