1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to chose?

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    I'm a 4th year physics student, I'm in a European Credit System ( Finishing my M1 degree ).
    Wishing to continue my studies in Subatomic-Particle Physics, for some complex reason ( will take time to explain ) I have to stop one year before continuing my studies in physics ( to get my M2 degree then my PhD ), so I have one year free for me.
    I was planning to do something with this year...
    Going to study some stuff concerning this field of physics...
    But I was thinking of going to university for this one year to study something other then physics, like math of computer science.
    what should I chose ? math or computer science?
    I know the importance of each of these 2 in physics, but I can't decide...
    or there is something else you advice??
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2
    Mathematics would help you immensely in grad school. Computer science has many practical applications in the real world. Either of which would be really good to study... However, most computer science courses are really a self-taught, learn from the book ordeal.

Have you thought about taking some time off of school? Especially since you're planning on going to get a PhD, it may be good to take some time to recollect yourself before going on.
  4. Jul 14, 2007 #3
    Well this year shouldn't be enough ?
    I will not exhaust myself in this year, I'll take minimum courses...
    Anyway it could be my crappy french, but from what I understood when applying in France ( yeah going there to continue ) is that it would be a problem for me in my application when they will found out that I have stopped for a period of time ( just general impression ).
  5. Jul 16, 2007 #4
    One question, if I decided to go with math, which is probably what i'm going to do.
    what kind of courses should I take ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?