What to do about physics class

In summary: Understanding the meaning behind the concepts is essential.In summary, the speaker has previously ranted about their struggles with understanding physics, but has since taken steps to improve. They have combined their interest in great white sharks with physics to help them understand better. However, they still struggle with understanding physics questions and seek advice on how to improve. The speaker also mentions their classmates' ability to understand the subject and the importance of practicing and having a strong understanding of math in physics. They are currently focusing on understanding the concepts of "Work", Power, and Energy, but have had misconceptions due to a messy teacher.
ConfidentIntelect
I had a thread on here ( I don't understand physics ) and completely used it as a rant. Well since then I've taken precautions on losing temper and understanding physics.
Forging to play on my strengths, I combined my interest in learning about great white sharks and using physics to make it clear. I've had success but now my main problem is understanding physics questions. The ambiguity of the question really throws me off from picturing what's going on and what values am I given. What can I do to get over this last hump ? Read more often because if it's my lack of understanding of what the question says then maybe I can solve the question? How do you approach these verbose sentences?
This is high school physics and I talked to a teacher who is extremely proficient in higher maths and he told me most of physics is calculus based and I am only in pre calculus. But the problem is that most of my class is in algebra 2 and they seem to understand most of it better than I do. It also doesn't help that they form "Cliques" and so that throws out "getting classmate help" out the window.
And so I ask, what can I do in this situation?
Any help is gladly appriciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much do you practice for physics? I don't mean reading books and stuff. But actually sitting down and solving difficult questions. And then I'm not talking about homework, but actual questions going beyond homework.

There's no royal road to physics. Everybody has to get there by a lot of practice. If you don't understand many physics questions, then I think you might not be practising enough. Either that or you have some misconceptions about certain concepts in physics. Or maybe both.

Math is of course very important. And if your math is not good, then your physics will not be good either. Because physics IS math AND beyond. Physics requires you understand the problem, translate it into math and then using math to solve it. Those three things are vital. You need to figure out which of these three you're not good at.

What I am doing right now is reading about the literal meaning of "Work", Power, and Energy.
My misconception stems from a teachers who literally has his work messy on the board so it's hard understand the material when it's a juggernaut of a mess

Reading is good. Doing problems is better.

1. What can I do to improve my understanding in physics class?

To improve your understanding in physics class, it is important to actively engage in class discussions and take thorough notes. You can also try practicing problems and concepts on your own and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor if needed. Additionally, studying regularly and keeping up with readings and assignments can also help improve your understanding.

2. How can I prepare for exams in physics class?

To prepare for exams in physics class, it is important to review your notes and class materials regularly. Practice problems and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. You can also create study guides or flashcards to help you review key concepts and equations. It is also important to get enough rest and eat well before exams to ensure your brain is functioning at its best.

3. What should I do if I am struggling in physics class?

If you are struggling in physics class, it is important to communicate with your teacher and seek help as soon as possible. Your teacher may be able to provide extra resources or offer one-on-one help. You can also consider joining a study group or seeking help from a tutor. It is also important to stay positive and keep trying, as understanding physics concepts takes time and practice.

4. How can I stay motivated in physics class?

To stay motivated in physics class, it is important to set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate small successes along the way. You can also try finding real-world applications of the concepts you are learning to make the material more interesting. Additionally, try to stay organized and manage your time effectively to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

5. What resources are available outside of class to help me with physics?

There are many resources available outside of class to help you with physics. You can seek help from your teacher during office hours, join a study group, or find a tutor. There are also online resources such as educational websites, videos, and practice problems that can help reinforce your understanding. Your school or local library may also have textbooks or study guides that you can use for additional practice.