What to do after algebra? For entry into college

In summary, the speaker's goal is to either pursue physics or aerospace engineering. They are currently learning math to prepare for college courses and are seeking recommendations for what math they should focus on. It is suggested that a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for both fields. Geometry may also be useful, but it is not essential in later courses. The speaker is relearning geometry after a period of not using it and is focusing on the basics, as they are not necessary for advanced courses.
Tyrion101
My goal is either to go for physics, or areospace engineering. I'm currently learning enough to get me into a college class, but I'd at least like a basic understanding of what the math I'll be dealing with when I begin classes, so any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends where you want to start out in physics or engineering. To finish college, you'll need to know calculus and maybe a little bit of linear algebra depending on what you decide to do. But this is all stuff that you can learn while in college.

You could probably go into college with nothing more than algebra, but it'll delay you from taking introductory physics courses. I would try to start up on precalculus stuff, which is basically Trigonometry and what my school calls function analysis. If you go into college knowing all of precalculus you'll be able to jump into beginning physics and engineering classes and by the time you're done with those you can have taken calculus and be able to move to the more challenging stuff.

Probably calculus (differentiation and integration)would be your best bet.

Will you be doing any maths courses as well as physics/aerospace engineering?

I don't know what's required for either yet, I'm still just learning math, so I assume I likely will, what else would be reccomended?

You need to learn calculus in either of the fields you are planning on entering. A solid foundations in Algebra and Trigonometry is need to begin learning calc. If you haven't done any trig then that should be next. Typically they have classes called precalculus that are generally a combination of algebra and trig.

Would geometry be worth learning as well?

Tyrion101 said:
Would geometry be worth learning as well?

I'm surprised you weren't taught geometry before algebra. I guess its not really needed, but you might be embarrassed at some point without knowledge of geometry: it'll be assumed everyone knows basic geometry in any physics or math course.

Thanks, I may have had geometry in the past, but I am relearning it all after a long time of disuse. I am teaching myself the basic stuff, I just assumed algebra came first. Oh well Live and learn.

A lot of geometry isn't needed at all for later stuff, so I would just worry about the basics, past that you should be fine. Trig and the rest of precalc is what I would focus on.

What is the importance of algebra in college?

Algebra is a fundamental subject that is necessary for success in many college courses, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It helps develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies that are essential for success in college.

What should I do after completing algebra in high school?

After completing algebra in high school, it is important to continue practicing and reviewing the concepts learned. This can be done through advanced algebra courses, online resources, or tutoring. You can also start exploring other areas of mathematics that interest you.

Do I need to take a higher level of algebra for college admission?

It depends on the college and the program you are applying for. Some colleges may require a higher level of algebra, such as precalculus or calculus, for admission into certain programs. It is important to research the admission requirements of your desired college to determine if you need to take a higher level of algebra.

Will taking advanced algebra courses in high school improve my chances of getting into college?

Yes, taking advanced algebra courses in high school can improve your chances of getting into college, especially if you are applying for a STEM program. It shows that you have a strong foundation in mathematics and are willing to challenge yourself academically.

Are there any other subjects I should focus on in addition to algebra for college preparation?

In addition to algebra, it is important to focus on other subjects such as English, science, and social studies. These subjects help develop a well-rounded education and also prepare you for college-level courses. It is also important to develop time management, study, and critical thinking skills, which will be beneficial for success in college.