What to do for undergrad thesis?

In summary, choosing a topic for your undergraduate thesis requires careful consideration and consultation with your advisor and faculty. Your research question should be specific, relevant, and achievable, and it is important to start early and plan your time wisely for completing the thesis. The decision to work independently or in a group depends on personal preferences and program requirements. To ensure the quality of your thesis, follow guidelines, conduct thorough research, write clearly, and seek feedback from your advisor and faculty.
Quarki
I'm torn between self interest and forcing myself to learn different things which would be good for me.

I'm debating to look at fundamental problems in Quantum Mechanics... like sort of why we look at psi^2 and not some other psi. This is what I'm really interested in.

The other project is on "Dumb Holes" or Unruh's Dumb Holes. I'd be working experimental and modelling the fluid aspects of it. It's the fluid analog of black and white holes. I haven't taken GR or fluids so I'd be forcing myself to learn things which I don't mind too too much but I don't know...

Any advice?

Both are with the same professor.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you want to get out of your project. If you're interested in pushing the boundaries of physics and learning more about quantum mechanics, then that would be the better choice for you. On the other hand, if you're looking to expand your knowledge base and learn more about fluid dynamics and general relativity, then the Dumb Holes project would be a better fit. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which project is best suited for your interests and goals.

I understand the struggle of balancing personal interests with the need to broaden one's knowledge and skills. My advice would be to carefully consider your long-term goals and how each project aligns with them. If your ultimate goal is to pursue a career in quantum mechanics, then focusing on fundamental problems in that field would be beneficial. However, if you are open to exploring different areas of physics, the project on "Dumb Holes" could provide valuable experience and skills in experimental and fluid modeling techniques.

It may also be helpful to discuss your options with your professor and get their perspective on which project would be a better fit for your academic and career goals. Ultimately, the goal of an undergraduate thesis is to not only explore a topic of interest, but also to develop critical thinking and research skills that will benefit you in your future endeavors. So, don't be afraid to challenge yourself and step out of your comfort zone, but make sure it aligns with your overall goals and interests. Good luck with your decision!

What should be the topic for my undergraduate thesis?

Choosing a topic for your undergraduate thesis is a crucial decision that requires careful consideration. It should be something you are genuinely interested in and have a good understanding of. Look for a topic that is relevant to your field of study and has not been extensively researched before. Consult with your advisor and other faculty members for suggestions and ideas.

How do I come up with a research question for my thesis?

Your research question should be specific, relevant, and achievable. It should also be something that has not been answered or fully explored before. Start by brainstorming ideas and narrowing down your focus. Consider current issues or gaps in existing literature to guide your research question. Consult with your advisor and other faculty members for feedback and guidance.

What is the timeline for completing an undergraduate thesis?

The timeline for completing an undergraduate thesis may vary depending on your program and requirements. Typically, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more. It is crucial to start early and plan your time wisely to ensure you have enough time for research, writing, and revisions. Consult with your advisor for a realistic timeline and stick to it.

Should I work independently or in a group for my undergraduate thesis?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the requirements of your program. Working independently allows you to have full control over your research and writing process, while working in a group can provide different perspectives and support. Consider your strengths and weaknesses, and discuss your options with your advisor to make an informed decision.

How can I ensure the quality of my undergraduate thesis?

To ensure the quality of your undergraduate thesis, make sure to follow the guidelines provided by your program and advisor. Conduct thorough research, critically analyze your findings, and use reliable sources. Write clearly and concisely, and proofread your work multiple times for errors. Seek feedback from your advisor and other faculty members to improve the overall quality of your thesis.