1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do next?

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    I've solved my equation, which was originally 240/s + 240/s+ 11 = 8 as, s = 55 and s = -6. It's asking for the average speed to and from a place.It asks me to use s and s+11 and s as my two speeds, but I've tried using 55 and -6 both, it solves all portions of the equation, but I'm lost as what to do next. The program doesn't say what to do next, it just says tell me the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is the program asking for the two speeds for the round trip? If so, 55 and -6 are NOT the answers. -6 is not a reasonable answer unless the car somehow made the trip in reverse. In any case, car speedometers don't register negative speeds.

Also, you've posted here long enough that you should realize by now that your equation is written incorrectly.
    This means ##\frac{240}{s} + \frac{240}{s} + 11 = 8##

If the second fraction has s + 11 in the denominator, use parentheses to indicate that.

Also, do not just discard the homework template. Fair warning...

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    homework template?

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

Mark44

When you start a thread in the homework section, it automatically contains a three part template. Possibly it doesn't if you have the PF app on a phone.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
    No, I was using taptalk, sorry, the next time I'll post using that instead. But anyway, back to the question, I've plugged both answers into the first equation, and get 8 when I plug in both numbers as possible answers, I realize that -6 is not a car speed, but sometimes in the homework, one answer won't work, but the other will satisfy, 55 should be a reasonable car speed, as could 66, depending on where this person lives, and what roads they were driving on. Is it asking me to if 55 were s, then add 11 to it and get both speeds?

7. Oct 3, 2013 #6

Mark44

Yes, I believe so. The form seems to be asking for s and s+11, the two speeds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted