What Should You Do with Old Receipts?

• Thread starter ocean09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of keeping old receipts and how different people handle them. Some keep them for tax purposes or warranty claims, while others throw them away. The conversation also mentioned the importance of keeping prescription receipts for tax deductions.
ocean09
Hi everyone,

What do you do w/ your old receipts (purchasing stuffs in stores? Do you throw them away or keep them in a box just in case anything will happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to keep mine.

I just got accepted financially for disability, so I'm required to keep them now. I have been doing ok for now, but it's not too critical yet because I haven't been accepted medically yet. Still waiting on that.

I plan on getting folders to organize them on a monthly basis, and when the year ends, I'll put them in a yearly folder.

Before this, I just through them out. Sometimes I shouldn't have because I could have returned things. I could have saved atleast $500 in the past 5 years.

It depends on what I buy. If its somthing really expensive(computer,TV,ect...), then I will keep the recipt for a little while.But anything else I will just throw them away.

Because of the way I do my taxes, I keep them all. Filed by week, month, then by year. I keep them for 5 years, only because the IRS says I half to. I've been doing it for over 20 yrs, so its a habit by now. I do recall when it was a chore.

Some of my VAT is claimed back off my petrol and Diesel receipts, otherwise I just keep them for however long the product is under warranty for, and bin them.

I tend to only keep receipts for items over a few hundred dollars.

Oh, I have been getting into the habit of keeping prescription receipts, since they're deductible. I used to have a medical plan so that wasn't an issue up until recently.

What should I do with receipts?

Receipts are important documents that serve as proof of purchase. It is recommended to keep receipts for items that may need to be returned or exchanged, as well as for expenses that may be tax-deductible.

How long should I keep receipts?

The recommended time to keep receipts varies depending on the purpose. For tax purposes, it is advised to keep receipts for at least 3 years. For items that may need to be returned or exchanged, it is best to keep the receipt until the return/exchange period has expired.

Should I keep physical or digital copies of my receipts?

It is a personal preference whether to keep physical or digital copies of receipts. However, it is important to keep them in a safe and organized manner. Digital copies may be easier to store and access, but physical copies may be required for certain returns or exchanges.

Do I need to keep receipts for every purchase?

It is not necessary to keep receipts for every purchase. It is recommended to keep receipts for items that may need to be returned or exchanged, as well as for expenses that may be tax-deductible. For small purchases, it may not be necessary to keep the receipt unless it is for a warranty or return/exchange purposes.

What if I lose a receipt?

If a receipt is lost, there are still ways to prove the purchase. Credit card or bank statements can serve as proof of purchase for items bought with a card. Additionally, some stores may be able to reprint a receipt if the transaction was recent, or offer store credit if the item is being returned without a receipt.