Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do with 20,000lbs of Na?

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just wow

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Man, they could have pulled enough boiled fish out of there to feed a small city. They should have thrown a couple of tonnes of potatoes and carrots in first.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    I love chemistry :rofl:

5. Mar 13, 2007 #4
    It was devoid of fish, or so said the narrator.

6. Mar 13, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Oh... I couldn't make out most of the narration because the playback was jumpy on my system. Maybe I'll watch it again on a different one.

7. Mar 13, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

LOL, reminds me of the time I stuck a piece of magnesium in a bunsun burner flame in high school chemistry!

8. Mar 13, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It certainly was after they dumped the Na into it.

Why they just didn't park it at the Hanford Reservation or Idaho, I don't know. Add to the list of stupid things that government does.

9. Mar 13, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yeah, they were saying it was an alkaline lake, and I was wondering if that was before or after they started dumping in Na. :uhh: Anyone need a lake full of drain cleaner?

10. Mar 13, 2007 #9
    Well, if it did have an animal population, what would the result be after the sodium dump?

11. Mar 13, 2007 #10
    Come on, that was totally worth it! :biggrin: kaplowey.

20,000lbs heads for distruction ladies and gentleman! Yes you heard me right!

12. Mar 13, 2007 #11

Astronuc

The rationale behind dumping it was also very stupid - "because a public (common) carrier wouldn't accept it for transport'. So why didn't the military transport it, or contact one on many chemical companies, one of whom probably made the material?

I just don't buy it. Monsanto, Dupont, Dow, Union Carbide, . . . . and so on, transported lots of hazardous materials.

How did the military get it in the first place?

13. Mar 13, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Basically it would dissolve the flesh away from the skeleton.

14. Mar 13, 2007 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In navy boot came they did a demo of what happens when Na and water mix. The instructor dropped a small chunk of Na into a 5 gal bucket of water, it imediatly launched itself high (~50+) into the air... way cool.

Yeah, you just have to wonder if some officer just didn't want to see what would happen.

RE Magnisium in a bunsen burner.

In a past job we had been casting aluminium parts in house and were changing to an external souce using Mg. We were looking for a way to strip paint from a new Mg part... put it in a furnace to burn it off.... all that was left was a pile of grey ash.

15. Mar 13, 2007 #14
    What I mean is, would there be some far-reaching effects to the animals both in and around the lake?

16. Mar 13, 2007 #15
    Thats a huge lake, and considering that most of the sodium burned, my guess is no. Actually, you could probably find out by seeing if lake lenore has any 'sodium contamination'

17. Mar 13, 2007 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Metals burn to form metal oxides. Sodium oxide is an incredibly strong base, so it will still react with water the same way sodium does.
    Na + H20 --> H2 + NaOH
    Na2O + H20 --> H2 + NaOH

18. Mar 13, 2007 #17
    But those were 3 small barrels in a huge lake. I doubt they could devistate the waters.

19. Mar 13, 2007 #18
    6,670 pound small barrels?

20. Mar 13, 2007 #19
    how many millions of gallons of water in that lake?

21. Mar 13, 2007 #20
    Narrator says 3,500 lb barrels. It's closer to 6 barrels. But that's still small, so I get what you're saying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?