What to do with a used helicopter jet engine?

In summary, the conversation starts with someone expressing their fear and excitement about a futuristic bike that has a jet engine. Others chime in with their own thoughts and experiences with jet-powered vehicles, including a 10-cylinder 500hp car and the possibility of using a helicopter engine in a truck. The conversation also touches on the availability and cost of these types of engines and the potential for using them in unconventional vehicles.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That thing looks awesome, in a very, very scary way. Wonder what it sounds like?

It does look slick. At least the future Darwin Award winners will go in style. :approve:

Oh god for some reason my hip just tried to move towards the picture

It sounds very much like a jet engine.. :rolleyes:

Jay Leno was showing his on a History Channel show. It is a bit loud but, he said it is absolutely smooth... also there is about a 1.5sec lag between control and engine response, it GAINS power with speed, the faster you go the faster it wants to go... this is real death wish material!

I saw @ 50000rpm and i thought it was a misprint and then i realized "haha ohh right.. jet engine... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

I saw that history channel show too. For just $150,000 you too can own one. I am sure your neighbors would just love you when you start that up.

I am not so sure I would like the idea of having to deal with the spool up and down lags with that bike. I would hope it has some monster brakes. There, of course, is a limit to the power. Turboshafts are going to be limited on TIT and torque. So there is a limit to what it will do. However, I would think that you're going pretty wicked fast at that point and wouldn't really care.

Have you seen this one?

http://www.dodge.com/tomahawk/flash.html [Broken]

10 cylinder, 500hp engine. 0-60 in 2.5 sec. Top speed 300+ mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Janus said:
Have you seen this one?

http://www.dodge.com/tomahawk/flash.html [Broken]

10 cylinder, 500hp engine. 0-60 in 2.5 sec. Top speed 300+ mph.

I saw a pic of that last year and thought it was a mock up, but WoW
i wonder how they would charge for a go on the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I'll stick to desires for a nice, sensible, 1.3 litre engine car.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/megabusa.htm

What's that, 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds, in an affordable car? Yes please!

Last edited:
I wanted to build a pulse jet powered go cart, for quarter mile stuff, i am still thinking about it.

Might not work satisfactory, pulse jets have little power at low speeds.

Andre said:
Might not work satisfactory, pulse jets have little power at low speeds.

Yes, but it would make a lovely noise, and as soon as i get used to it i could
make longer runs

I played with the idea of putting a small, used helicopter engine in my truck. But I didn't find much of a drop in value between new, and nearly ruined engines.

Ivan Seeking said:
I played with the idea of putting a small, used helicopter engine in my truck. But I didn't find much of a drop in value between new, and nearly ruined engines.

Where do all these copter engines come from? and if you have a spare
can i have it ? Please.

The experimental officer at my uni keeps getting offered loads of ex-military equipment, for free. He's been offered several jet aircraft (including a couple of Migs, I believe), a couple of helicopters too, and dozens of surplus jet engines. He was recently offered a pair of Rolls Royce Olympus gas turbines. Sadly, he has to turn most of the stuff down due to having nowhere to keep it, and occasionally, problems arranging confidentiality agreements.

brewnog said:
Sadly, he has to turn most of the stuff down due to having nowhere to keep it, and occasionally, problems arranging confidentiality agreements.
If he ever wants to pass one on, I'll pay for the shipping. When I looked into snagging a surplus turbine to toss into my Roadrunner, the only way that I could get one was in pieces. The injector assembly alone cost $11,000! I could have bought a complete ready-to-run 10,000hp peroxide rocket for $10,000. That was over 20 years ago. It'd be even more fun to put one in my 4x4 El Camino, because I could hide it in the cap and drop the tailgate on lead-screws to fire it up. :biggrin: That 455 Olds motor has surprised more than a couple of idiots in 'sports cars', so I can only grin in delight at the concept of what something like a Pegasus would do to them. :devil:

1. What is the best way to dispose of a used helicopter jet engine?

The best way to dispose of a used helicopter jet engine is to recycle it. This can be done through a specialized recycling company that will properly break down and dispose of the engine's components.

2. Can a used helicopter jet engine be reused?

Yes, a used helicopter jet engine can potentially be refurbished and reused. This would involve a thorough inspection and repair process to ensure the engine is safe and functional for future use.

3. How do I properly store a used helicopter jet engine?

A used helicopter jet engine should be stored in a dry and secure location, preferably in a climate-controlled environment. The engine should also be protected from dust and other contaminants that could cause damage.

4. Are there any regulations or restrictions for selling a used helicopter jet engine?

Yes, there may be regulations and restrictions for selling a used helicopter jet engine, depending on the country and local laws. It is important to research and follow these regulations to ensure legal and ethical practices.

5. Can a used helicopter jet engine be used for other purposes besides aviation?

Yes, some components of a used helicopter jet engine can be repurposed for other industrial or mechanical uses. However, it is important to properly dispose of the engine's remaining components to avoid any potential hazards.