Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do with a used helicopter jet engine?

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That thing looks awesome, in a very, very scary way. Wonder what it sounds like?

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does look slick. At least the future Darwin Award winners will go in style. :approve:

5. Jul 8, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh god for some reason my hip just tried to move towards the picture

6. Jul 8, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds very much like a jet engine.. :rolleyes:

Jay Leno was showing his on a History Channel show. It is a bit loud but, he said it is absolutely smooth... also there is about a 1.5sec lag between control and engine response, it GAINS power with speed, the faster you go the faster it wants to go... this is real death wish material!

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I saw @ 50000rpm and i thought it was a misprint and then i realized "haha ohh right.. jet engine... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

8. Jul 9, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I saw that history channel show too. For just $150,000 you too can own one. I am sure your neighbors would just love you when you start that up.

I am not so sure I would like the idea of having to deal with the spool up and down lags with that bike. I would hope it has some monster brakes. There, of course, is a limit to the power. Turboshafts are going to be limited on TIT and torque. So there is a limit to what it will do. However, I would think that you're going pretty wicked fast at that point and wouldn't really care.

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Jul 9, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I saw a pic of that last year and thought it was a mock up, but WoW
    i wonder how they would charge for a go on the first one.

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10
  12. Jul 9, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  13. Jul 9, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I wanted to build a pulse jet powered go cart, for quarter mile stuff, i am still thinking about it.

14. Jul 9, 2005 #13
    Might not work satisfactory, pulse jets have little power at low speeds.

15. Jul 9, 2005 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Yes, but it would make a lovely noise, and as soon as i get used to it i could
    make longer runs

16. Jul 9, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I played with the idea of putting a small, used helicopter engine in my truck. But I didn't find much of a drop in value between new, and nearly ruined engines.

17. Jul 11, 2005 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Where do all these copter engines come from? and if you have a spare
    can i have it ? Please.

18. Jul 11, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The experimental officer at my uni keeps getting offered loads of ex-military equipment, for free. He's been offered several jet aircraft (including a couple of Migs, I believe), a couple of helicopters too, and dozens of surplus jet engines. He was recently offered a pair of Rolls Royce Olympus gas turbines. Sadly, he has to turn most of the stuff down due to having nowhere to keep it, and occasionally, problems arranging confidentiality agreements.

19. Jul 12, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

If he ever wants to pass one on, I'll pay for the shipping. When I looked into snagging a surplus turbine to toss into my Roadrunner, the only way that I could get one was in pieces. The injector assembly alone cost $11,000! I could have bought a complete ready-to-run 10,000hp peroxide rocket for $10,000. That was over 20 years ago. It'd be even more fun to put one in my 4x4 El Camino, because I could hide it in the cap and drop the tailgate on lead-screws to fire it up. :biggrin: That 455 Olds motor has surprised more than a couple of idiots in 'sports cars', so I can only grin in delight at the concept of what something like a Pegasus would do to them. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?