Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do with c++?

Tags:
  1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    I finished a course in C++ about a month ago and I would say I am almost average in programming in it. I am decent at command prompt programs but I do not have too much experience with gui programs.I have gotten to for loops and objects/methods and I did not understand ifstream.ofstream too well. I do not want to forget all I learned but I do not know what to do to make my skills better. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 22, 2015 #3
    Gee wiz you give very concise and straightforward answers. I will try to do some of the projects on that site.

5. Apr 22, 2015 #4
    Are there any other uses for c++ besides games? I am very interested in the science applications of c++.

6. Apr 22, 2015 #5
    Can you get good at c++ by downloading other people's simple c++ source code and experimenting with it? is learning c++ learning by examples easy?

7. Apr 22, 2015 #6
    Of course, C++ is a multipurpose language used everywhere. You can build anything with it.

It can be a fun and interesting way to learn about alternative techniques

Depends on your skill level. If you download some C++ that is extremely advanced, but you are a beginner, it won't help you much.

8. Apr 23, 2015 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Look inward.

Generally, anything you want to program can be designed and implemented in an OO way. So the question is, what do you want to program?

What sorts of applications "turn you on". What kind of problems are fun to solve.
    You said you enjoy science apps. What science applications do you think are missing? What platform do you want to write for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook