What can I do with €100 at an electronics store?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, with €100 at an electronics store, you can purchase a variety of items such as headphones, speakers, phone cases, or even a basic tablet. You can also consider buying accessories or upgrading to a better version of a product you already own. Another option is to use the money towards a larger purchase, such as a new laptop or gaming console. Ultimately, the possibilities are endless and it depends on your personal needs and preferences.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last month I bought a notebook and registered online sometime later. Last week I got an envelope, I didn't open it though, what could be inside? Probably just a confirmation..

Well, yesterday evening I decided to open the thing so that I could throw it away.. the first thing I pull out is a plastified piece of paper (quite big) I thought that is nice! Must carry some information for when I require service.

I started reading the enclosed letter: hereby we send you a €100,- gift certificate.. (!) grabbing the sheet of plastic, turning it around: in big letters with an authenticity sticker: certificate for €100 to be spent at the following store

OK, I thougt, there must be a catch, reading the fineprint.. there isn't

How to spent €100 ($120) at an electronics store.. an MP3 player would be nice, anyone has one of those? Are they any good? They are about €170..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a minidisc fan.

If I were you , I would go for Mp3 player.
I'm planning to get a new one soon (next week I guess )

IPOD IPOD IPOD!

[edit] Nevermind. I see you only have 100 euro. A 10GB ipod is 300 USD.

umm..what about 100 euros worth of cd's. no, that's about 2 cds at the RIAA price.

umm..what about a 52x cd burner. Then you can download all the songs you want for free from the internet, burn them to cd and play it in your car.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zargawee
If I were you , I would go for Mp3 player.
I'm planning to get a new one soon (next week I guess )
Which ones do you like? Any pro/cons for minidisc vs mp3?

minidisc is a piece of junk. No one I know has one.

I have a cd/mp3 combo from sonicblue( rio250 ). Unfortunetly, sonicblue went under, so they don't sell them anymore, i don't think.

If your looking for solid state based mp3 player then a cheap player is the Creative Nomad MuVo (64 MB). Its about 80 USD.

If your looking for a cd/mp3 combo, then an iRiver iMP-150 ChromeX for about 100USD.

minidisc is the greatest little technology that almost was. But you when you can get an mp3 player that holds 7,000 songs, what's the point?

Why would you want to have a CD/mp3 combo? I mean, put the CD in a computer, hook the mp3 to the computer and it can be transferred right?

Why is it called mp3 btw?

Originally posted by dduardo
IPOD IPOD IPOD!

Overpriced Overpriced Overpriced :smile:

I just bought a nomad zen nx 30gig for less than the price of a 15gig ipod.

mp3 stands for Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3

Originally posted by dduardo
IPOD IPOD IPOD!

Overpriced Overpriced Overpriced :smile:

I just bought a nomad zen nx 30gig for less than the price of a 15gig ipod.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
mp3 stands for Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3
You are kidding me, right [?]

and of course mpeg comes from Massive Pain Experienced by Guys when girls just don't get it, right? or was it without the comma?

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Yep : )

Mpeg-1 Audio Layer-3
lol, I see you are right.. only guys can come up with a name like that.. Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3, gee! What does a moving picture have to do with audio? Call it: Most Popular Priceless Playerfiletype or something..

Originally posted by Monique
lol, I see you are right.. only guys can come up with a name like that.. Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3, gee! What does a moving picture have to do with audio? Call it: Most Popular Priceless Playerfiletype or something..
The consortium of people who developed some of the dominant video compression algorithms in use today on everything from DVDs to HDTV are called the Motion Pictures Expert Group (MPEG)

Certainly, you're aware that movies also have audio information too. Well, the MPEG group also did some work on audio compression, and the one standard that really took over was MPEG-1 Layer-3 audio. It's a lossy compression, acheiving 10:1 compression for most audio. The information discarded is largely psychoacoustically redundant, so most people can barely tell the difference between a quality high-bitrate mp3 and the original uncompressed (CD) digital audio.

- Warren

Well, for my car I got this:

http://www.acrylicsounds.com/mobilereceivers/deph4500MP_PAGE.htm

The reason for having a cd mp3 player is that you can store 10-15 albums on a single cd. You could fit thousands of songs in a 20 disc cd holder. Nice and simple for driving, as you don't have to fumble cd's around or mess with cd changers.

For my dirtbiking I got something like this though:

http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iFP_390T/4505-6490_7-21146838.html?tag=pop

This is nice because its small. This site also reviews most of the personal mp3 players out there. It works for me because I can be pretty rough on electronics on the trail.

As to minidiscs, they make good can holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a SIMS Muze 128mb mp3 player. I have had it since last Christmans, it is great, and one of the smallest mp3 players I have ever seen. It was $170 when i got it, it is without a doubt cheaper now.

Originally posted by Monique
Why would you want to have a CD/mp3 combo? I mean, put the CD in a computer, hook the mp3 to the computer and it can be transferred right?

Why is it called mp3 btw?

Ya this is a great toy- it can read mp3's directly, so instead of converting them to wave first, you just do a direct copy- can fit about 100 songs on a single CD.. pretty nice=)

1. What is the best way to spend €100 on a MP3 player?

The best way to spend €100 on a MP3 player would be to research and compare different brands and models to find one that fits your needs and budget. It is also recommended to read reviews and consider factors such as storage capacity, battery life, and additional features before making a purchase.

2. Can I get a high-quality MP3 player for €100?

Yes, there are many high-quality MP3 players available for €100 or less. However, it is important to do your research and read reviews to ensure you are getting a reliable and durable device.

3. Should I buy a MP3 player or use my smartphone for music?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. MP3 players are designed specifically for playing music and often have longer battery life and better sound quality compared to smartphones. However, if you prefer to have all your devices in one, using your smartphone for music may be a better option.

4. Are there any additional costs associated with purchasing a MP3 player?

Most MP3 players come with a charging cable and headphones, so you will not have to spend extra money on those. However, if you want to purchase additional accessories or a warranty, those may cost extra.

5. Are there any benefits to purchasing a higher-priced MP3 player?

In general, higher-priced MP3 players may have better sound quality, longer battery life, and more storage capacity compared to lower-priced ones. However, it is important to research and compare different options to determine if the higher price is worth it for your specific needs.